The very cool sounding Bruce Lee biopic, BIRTH OF THE DRAGON gets a director!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
Lost among all of the big Marvel news on Friday was Variety’s report that the Bruce Lee biopic, BIRTH OF THE DRAGON, has finally locked in a director in THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU’s George Nolfi. This isn’t just any old biopic either as it will specifically document the very interesting 1965 duel Bruce Lee had with Wong Jack Man. When we first heard about this project in February of 2013, Quint broke down exactly what made this legendary duel so infamous:
"The fight was not recorded, but the legendmaking started immediately after the end of the fight. Depending on who you believe, between 7 and 15 people witnessed it, it lasted 3 minutes or 25 minutes, Bruce Lee won and/or Wong Jack-Man won. This isn't history buffs theorizing, this is how much disinformation is out there starting the day after the fight!
This was Lee's pivotal fight, the one that broke him off of Wing Chun and set him on the road to developing Jeet Kune Do. If you listen to Lee and his friends and family, the fight was about the right to teach martial arts to white folk. If you listen to Jack-Man it was in response to challenge and he felt Lee had disrespected the community and needed to be checked. I'm not sure if that community disrespect involved teaching white people martial arts, but Jack-Man seems to be adamant that wasn't the case.
Lee's wife recounts the fight as being over quickly, with Lee dominating... but then goes on to say that Lee was winded and this fight prompted him to change his fighting style, which doesn't sound like something that'd happen if he just stepped in and beat Jack-Man down.
Jack-Man claims he showed incredible restraint in not striking killing blows when he had the chance, despite Lee fighting dirty and that by the end of it he fought mostly defensively and wore down his opponent."
The Variety report adds:
“The story of the match is told from the perspective of Steve Macklin, a young disciple of Lee, who ultimately joins forces with Lee and Wong to battle a vicious band of Chinatown gangsters."
I was a big fan of THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU so I love the hire of Nolfi, who also had a hand in writing OCEAN’S TWELVE and THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM. The writers who penned the script, Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen Rivele, already have a history with decent biopics, having written the screenplays for Michael Mann’s ALI and Oliver Stone’s NIXON. So there is definitely some talent involved here, and then you add in the interesting nature of the story and the countless ways in which they can take the direction of the story here and I am sold.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 258 total posts 144 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 263 total posts 108 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 176 total posts 98 posts
- New Poster for OPEN WINDOWS! -- 87 total posts 87 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- This Trailer For The New SHAUN THE SHEEP Movie Doesn’t Look Too Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 234 total posts 37 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at EXTRATERRESTRIAL! SAVAGELAND! REVELATION TRAIL! THE POSESSION OF MICHAEL KING! THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE! SLOPPY THE PSYCHOTIC! MY FAIR ZOMBIE! THE FORBIDDEN GIRL! MOEBIUS! TWILIGHT ZONE 1985! SUFFER THE CHILDREN Book Review! & cast your vote for PRESIDENT WOLFMAN! -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 137 total posts 35 posts
-- 58 total posts 28 posts