The Coen Brothers (yes, those Coen Brothers) are writing that Cold War flick for Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks!!
That Steven Spielberg/Tom Hanks Cold War flick has scored two of the biggest screenwriters in the business.
The Beard has tasked none other than Joel and Ethan Coen to write the latest draft of his political/legal drama about the real-life story of James Donovan and Gary Powers. Powers was a pilot operating a spy plane over the Soviet Union before he got shot down and imprisoned by the KGB. Donovan was a Harvard Law School alum, and a participant in the Nuremburg Trials, who got called in by the CIA to facilitate Powers' release. It's presumed Hanks will play Mr. Donovan, who will be the focus of the film.
Obviously, the Coens are best known for writing, producing, and directing their own work, but this isn't the first time they've written for another director. However, those efforts have landed with much softer receptions than those usually reserved for their own films: Sam Raimi's CRIMEWAVE was barely released, GAMBIT languished on the studio shelf for years before being dumped on VOD last month, and apparently Ethan Coen co-wrote a Michael Rapaport film called THE NAKED MAN, which I wouldn't have even been aware of had it not been for IMDB. Having seen CRIMEWAVE and GAMBIT, I will say that their oddball, madcap sensibilities tend to be somewhat missing from those two films (particularly GAMBIT, which is still an entertaining, if slight comedy), so that "Coen Brothers feeling" is ostensibly partly due to their hands-on approach to their work.
But those films weren't directed by Steven freaking Spielberg. Even if he doesn't really break out the twisted and the bizarre the way the Coens tend to, his cinematic mastery depicting one of their screenplays is something that's absolutely, undoubtedly worth anticipating.
So, did Tom Hanks use his LADYKILLERS pull to sway the Coens onto this project? If so, how cool is that (what's up to all the other 5 LADYKILLERS fans in the house)?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 183 total posts 118 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 401 total posts 45 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 35 total posts 35 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 261 total posts 32 posts
- Mike Epps Is Lee Daniels's Richard Pryor! -- 92 total posts 31 posts
- Fox To Remake LAURA With A Screenplay By James Ellroy! -- 39 total posts 18 posts
- Copernicus interviews Andy Weir, author of THE MARTIAN -- Ridley Scott's next film! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Lionsgate to bring us Arnold Schwarzenegger vs. zombies in MAGGIE come early 2015! -- 196 total posts 13 posts
- A Trailer And Poster For THE PYRAMID, Produced By Alexandre Aja!! -- 77 total posts 7 posts
- A Newish Spot For David Fincher’s GONE GIRL Is Now Online!! -- 56 total posts 6 posts