Fortune and Glory: Ain't It Cool Celebrates the 30th Anniversary of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I've long been carrying the torch for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, perhaps to the point of being annoying about my adoration of the movie. I can't help it. When people start talking shit about Willie being too shrill or Indy having a stupid kid sidekick my hackles raise, my fists clench and I come very close to hulking out.
I will debate anyone on the many merits of this film. There are a lot out there that don't like the movie and they're in good company alongside Steven Spielberg himself. But I told Spielberg directly he's too tough on the movie (read that at the end of my 2001 interview here), so don't think I won't stand up to any other Temple of Doom hater out there!
Truth be told, I think I'm part of a silent majority in my opinion on Temple of Doom. The movie is the highest grossing of all the Indy sequels (adjusted, of course) and the wave of criticism and finger wagging upon release has diminished to nothing while those who actually were kids when they saw it hold it closer to their hearts (no pun intended) than the other Indy films.
So, in my assuredly foolhardy assumption that I'm part of a large number of secret Temple of Doom lovers I decided to really make a special occasion out of it's pending 30th Anniversary. The film was released May 23rd, 1984. All this week leading up to Friday May 23rd, 2014 I'm going to be posting various Temple of Doom related articles. There will be essays from yours truly as well as some content from special guests, new interviews with a few high level Temple of Doom folks, rare behind the scenes material direct from the Lucasfilm vaults and a few other surprises.
Before you get too excited, try as I might I couldn't quite pry Steven Spielberg away from his crazy-busy schedule to talk about the flick. However, I did find a way for his voice to be included. Cryptic, I know, but it's not as creepy as it sounds. You'll see what I mean in a few days.
However, there are a few great interviews I did land that I can't wait to share. I'll kick off this series, which I'm calling Fortune and Glory, with one, as a matter of fact. If you're reading this you should see my interview with Executive Producer Frank Marshall hanging out over in the left-hand column.
Hold on to your potatoes, ladies and gentlemen. The rollercoaster ride is about to begin. I hope you join me for the ride.
Play me off, Dr. Jones!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 558 total posts 107 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 417 total posts 97 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 699 total posts 34 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint runs down the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON footage!!! -- 164 total posts 22 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen actual footage from George Miller's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!! -- 123 total posts 16 posts
- ‘You Have Failed This City!!’ When Atom Met ARROW!! 2.5 Minutes Of Season Three!! -- 50 total posts 14 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has a ton of photos and highlights from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron panel! -- 107 total posts 12 posts
- SDCC '14: Gareth Edwards confirmed to direct GODZILLA 2! Also, a few familiar monsters we should expect! -- 145 total posts 12 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint checks out Marvel's Ant-Man panel and sees a nifty teaser sequence! -- 65 total posts 11 posts
- Full banner and character posters from AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! -- 199 total posts 10 posts