Fortune and Glory: Ain't It Cool Celebrates the 30th Anniversary of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I've long been carrying the torch for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, perhaps to the point of being annoying about my adoration of the movie. I can't help it. When people start talking shit about Willie being too shrill or Indy having a stupid kid sidekick my hackles raise, my fists clench and I come very close to hulking out.
I will debate anyone on the many merits of this film. There are a lot out there that don't like the movie and they're in good company alongside Steven Spielberg himself. But I told Spielberg directly he's too tough on the movie (read that at the end of my 2001 interview here), so don't think I won't stand up to any other Temple of Doom hater out there!
Truth be told, I think I'm part of a silent majority in my opinion on Temple of Doom. The movie is the highest grossing of all the Indy sequels (adjusted, of course) and the wave of criticism and finger wagging upon release has diminished to nothing while those who actually were kids when they saw it hold it closer to their hearts (no pun intended) than the other Indy films.
So, in my assuredly foolhardy assumption that I'm part of a large number of secret Temple of Doom lovers I decided to really make a special occasion out of it's pending 30th Anniversary. The film was released May 23rd, 1984. All this week leading up to Friday May 23rd, 2014 I'm going to be posting various Temple of Doom related articles. There will be essays from yours truly as well as some content from special guests, new interviews with a few high level Temple of Doom folks, rare behind the scenes material direct from the Lucasfilm vaults and a few other surprises.
Before you get too excited, try as I might I couldn't quite pry Steven Spielberg away from his crazy-busy schedule to talk about the flick. However, I did find a way for his voice to be included. Cryptic, I know, but it's not as creepy as it sounds. You'll see what I mean in a few days.
However, there are a few great interviews I did land that I can't wait to share. I'll kick off this series, which I'm calling Fortune and Glory, with one, as a matter of fact. If you're reading this you should see my interview with Executive Producer Frank Marshall hanging out over in the left-hand column.
Hold on to your potatoes, ladies and gentlemen. The rollercoaster ride is about to begin. I hope you join me for the ride.
Play me off, Dr. Jones!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 231 total posts 75 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 57 total posts 15 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 35 total posts 9 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 45 total posts 8 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 276 total posts 6 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- Just How Conjoined Is Sarah Paulson In AHS FREAK SHOW?? See For Yourself!! -- 72 total posts 4 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 89 total posts 3 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 188 total posts 2 posts