H. R. Giger
Without fail, at least four times a year, I have an ALIEN nightmare.
It never starts the same, but it always ends up with myself, running through bone-molded walls, as I hear the furtive scratchings of the Alien behind me. It doesn't want to kill me. No, it wants to do far worse to me - to lay its spawn in my flesh, for me to give birth to horror and blasphemy. I always wake from these dreams with a jolt, even now, 35 years after the original release. You would think I'd be used to the Alien by now, but that is testimony to the absolute terror and psychological... wrongness of H. R. Giger's designs. They are both beautiful and terrifying.
H.R. Giger, the artist of our collective nightmares, our Charon through a tormented, twisted River Styx, has passed away at the age of 74, after receiving injuries in a fall. His contributions to cinema, art, video games, even music cannot be overstated. I cannot imagine a world without his art in it, and once having seen his work, I was never the same, as I imagine it is for many of you. Giger tapped into something primordial, sexual, and full of dread. His visions terrified him, and so he put them to canvas, or molded them from clay and chicken bone, and brought his nightmares for the world to share. And we love him for it.
If you haven't seen JODOROWSKY'S DUNE, you should, because Giger was integral to that failed project. I wish I could live in a world where both Jodorowsky's film and ALIEN could both exist, but sadly, one could not exist without the other. But once Giger designed the Alien and the Derelict and the Space Jockey in ALIEN, he captured the imagination of science fiction and horror fans everywhere. No one since has managed to make a movie monster quite so terrifying as the Alien. 35 years later, still no one has done it. Right now, I can't imagine anyone ever will.
Ain't It Cool extends its condolences to H. R. Giger's family and friends, and we thank him for his years of work in science fiction, cinema, video games, album covers, his art and his sculptures. Let us raise a glass to the navigator of our nightmares.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 163 total posts 163 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 250 total posts 95 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 76 total posts 76 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 188 total posts 73 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 122 total posts 38 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 68 total posts 37 posts
- Promo Images From DOCTOR WHO S08E05 - ‘Time Heist’!! -- 34 total posts 34 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1781 total posts 28 posts
- Scott Glenn Joins Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio, Rosario Dawson, Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll For Netflix’s DAREDEVIL Series!! -- 69 total posts 26 posts