H. R. Giger
Without fail, at least four times a year, I have an ALIEN nightmare.
It never starts the same, but it always ends up with myself, running through bone-molded walls, as I hear the furtive scratchings of the Alien behind me. It doesn't want to kill me. No, it wants to do far worse to me - to lay its spawn in my flesh, for me to give birth to horror and blasphemy. I always wake from these dreams with a jolt, even now, 35 years after the original release. You would think I'd be used to the Alien by now, but that is testimony to the absolute terror and psychological... wrongness of H. R. Giger's designs. They are both beautiful and terrifying.
H.R. Giger, the artist of our collective nightmares, our Charon through a tormented, twisted River Styx, has passed away at the age of 74, after receiving injuries in a fall. His contributions to cinema, art, video games, even music cannot be overstated. I cannot imagine a world without his art in it, and once having seen his work, I was never the same, as I imagine it is for many of you. Giger tapped into something primordial, sexual, and full of dread. His visions terrified him, and so he put them to canvas, or molded them from clay and chicken bone, and brought his nightmares for the world to share. And we love him for it.
If you haven't seen JODOROWSKY'S DUNE, you should, because Giger was integral to that failed project. I wish I could live in a world where both Jodorowsky's film and ALIEN could both exist, but sadly, one could not exist without the other. But once Giger designed the Alien and the Derelict and the Space Jockey in ALIEN, he captured the imagination of science fiction and horror fans everywhere. No one since has managed to make a movie monster quite so terrifying as the Alien. 35 years later, still no one has done it. Right now, I can't imagine anyone ever will.
Ain't It Cool extends its condolences to H. R. Giger's family and friends, and we thank him for his years of work in science fiction, cinema, video games, album covers, his art and his sculptures. Let us raise a glass to the navigator of our nightmares.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 50 total posts 46 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 423 total posts 10 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 9 total posts 9 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 721 total posts 7 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 5 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 31 total posts 2 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 569 total posts 2 posts
- Capone talks love among the ages with LOVE IS STRANGE director & co-writer Ira Sachs!!! -- 2 total posts 2 posts