This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: Animation, Puppets, and Awesomeness Galore!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, your pal Muldoon here with this week's assortment of random short film fun. Each of these films was created and submitted by a fellow AICN reader, like you, me, and that weird creepy guy who sits in the corner and complains all of the time (I'm looking at you, Phil!). At any rate, I hope you crazy cats out there all across the internet are having a pretty kickass Saturday. To make your Saturday a tad more fun, I've got four fun flicks I think you should check out. Hopefully you dig them all, but rest assured - you like fun stories - you'll find one here with this week's selection. And remember, if you've got a short you're thinking of submitting - just do it! Or if you've got a fun idea that you want to turn into a short - go freaking make it! The one thing I never get sick of seeing are the films submitted by "non-professionals" then get to see their style grow over the next few shorts they send my way. "Muldoon! I don't have the bling to make something just the way I want it!" No one ever has "enough," it's the folks that say "screw it, let's make it work" that eventually get better and better and then rise to the top. Okay, off my little tangent now... let's watch some films!
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
CHARLIE AND THE NIGHTHAWKS
Boom! To roll on into this week's showcase, let's start off with some fluffy animated fun from Fred Reyes, of Marvel Animation. The guy makes a living rocking out cartoons for Marvel, which I can only assume eats up a good chunk of time - yet he still finds time to animate his own projects. I'm absolutely down with that. What we've got here is the first of many episodes for his cartoon that feels like it'd be right at home on Cartoon Network, like JONNY QUEST or SPACE GHOST. "Charlie and the Nighthawks follows the adventures of a family of scientists devoted to protecting the world's most endangered species ... monsters. Unlike the general public, the Nighthawks know there are good monsters, and there are bad monsters, and it's their mission to help the former and defeat the latter." Be sure to hit up Episode two, three, and more!
FATTY IN WONDERLAND
Next up is a fun film about a dude who finds out his lady's been cheating on him. Oh, wow... that doesn't sound like much fun at all, but WAIT! This film is pretty damn fun, with jokes, *ninjas, and terrible gluttony. (*No Ninjas) From Iam Galloway we get "After discovering that his wife is cheating on him, Grant finds himself on a journey down the rabbit hole of Gluttony."
Peter Szewczyk brings us our next film, a comedy that's clever as hell and... was shot on a cell phone!
DON'T HUG ME I'M SCARED: 2
Who needs drugs when you've got the gang at BLINK! Here's the much needed sequel to DON'T TOUCH ME I'M SCARED. This video is jam packed with WTF and will leave you smiling, crying, laughing, and dying all at the same time. Becky Sloan and Joseph Pelling are on another level with this stuff. I'd gladly pay admition to take a look inside their heads (figuratively... of course.). This is the stuff dreams are made of, as well as bad acid trips.
That's it for this week folks, four radical shorts that should give you something to chew on. I'll see you all in seven days, where I hope ot have a few horror flicks ready to go. At any rate, I hope you had some fun and I'll catch you all later! (Now go out and make stuff!)
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
BY THE WAY: If you've had a short featured here, that means that I personally am a fan of your work, so feel free to shoot me any kind of news on new projects/films/whatever. I can't say I'll be able to help or in what capacity, but I'm interested in your work and am always down to see more! (Keep making cool stuff, everyone!)
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The New Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 Hints That The Movie Is Freakin’ Huge!! -- 245 total posts 245 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1682 total posts 157 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 127 total posts 127 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- A New Promo For STAR WARS REBELS Brings Action And Character Intros!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 62 total posts 62 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 57 total posts 57 posts
- Look Upon The Bizarre, Horrible, And Possibly Awesome Insanity Of This DEAD SNOW 2 Trailer!! -- 47 total posts 47 posts
- Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett to take on I SAW THE DEVIL REMAKE!!!!!!!! -- 39 total posts 39 posts
- STAR TREK Vet Bryan Fuller’s HIGH MOON Pilot Hits Syfy!! The Dome Is Shrinking On Penultimate UNDER!! 3-Hour International NINJA WARRIOR Special!! APPROVAL MATRIX & MASTERCHEF Finales!! LOVE & HIP HOP HOLLYWOOD Premiere!! New MNF, DALLAS, WOLF, MODEL & RAW!! TERROR IN NAIROBI On HBO!! Bill Hader & Nancy Pelosi on SETH!! Tim Olyphant & Nasim Pedrad On CONAN!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 35 total posts 35 posts