ABC Orders Season Two Of Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD And Season One Of Marvel Spinoff AGENT CARTER!!
Joss Whedon’s “Agents Of SHIELD” was the highest-rated new series NOT following NBC’s juggernaut “The Voice” this season, and has both earned a second season and unleashed a cavalcade of comic-book TV imitators for next season.
To wit. ABC has just greenlit to series “Marvel’s Agent Carter,” which will be set in the “Agents of SHIELD” universe and follow the 1946 adventures of the Hayley Atwell character from the “Captain America” movies.
The Carter-centric original short that appeared on the “Iron Man Three” Blu-ray served as pilot for the series.
Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas, the "Dollhouse" vets who scripted the CW’s excellent “Reaper” pilot way back when, will serve as "Agent Carter" showrunners.
"Avengers" writer-director Joss Whedon, of course, now oversees all projects set in the cinema/TV universe shared by Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Nick Fury, Phil Coulson, Senator Stern, Pepper Potts, The Falcon, Deathlok, etc. etc.
It’s 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark, all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers.
Streaming service Netflix has already greenlit five (!) fast-approaching live-action kinda-TV series based on Marvel characters Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and The Defenders. These series will also be set in the "Agents of SHIELD" universe.
DC Comics meanwhile is getting into the act in a big way next season, with Fox’s “Gotham,” NBC’s “Constantine,” and The CW’s “The Flash” and “iZombie” all receiving series orders this week (and more than making up for Wonder Woman’s failure to launch in recent years).
Also just renewed is ABC’s “The Goldbergs,” which has been benefiting greatly, ratings-wise, from following “SHIELD” on Tuesday nights.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 164 total posts 64 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 167 total posts 30 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 112 total posts 21 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 77 total posts 21 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 423 total posts 12 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 203 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 35 total posts 7 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 65 total posts 5 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 5 total posts 5 posts