Melissa McCarthy treks cross-country with grandmother Susan Sarandon in this trailer for TAMMY!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
The first trailer for Melissa McCarthy's TAMMY, which she co-wrote with husband Ben Falcone (who also directed), focused on a mid-section scene where the titular character holds up a fast foot joint using her finger and a couple of judiciously applied paper bags. This longer look at the McCarthy vehicle still uses that scene as a centerpiece, and gives away basically all the gags within before laying out the road trip story that actually serves as the film's plot.
I got a chance to see this flick recently, and despite applauding McCarthy and Falcone on attempting to create a showcase for her talents themselves, I don't have high hopes for its commercial prospects. Despite a high-wattage cast, including Susan Sarandon (who is really the co-lead of the movie), Mark Duplass, Gary Cole, Toni Collette, Kathy Bates, Sandra Oh, and Dan freakin' Aykroyd, the film, about a white-trash young woman and her grandma fleeing away from their podunk lives to Niagra Falls, lands really softly. The robbery bit that the trailers lean so hard on is one of the only solidly funny sections of the film, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the film (and now you've already seen it, saving you 10 bucks). Even for the more diehard McCarthy fans, it may prove less than satisfying, due to her decision to make the film a BRIDESMAIDS-esque dramedy about a sad, loser-y character, but still buttressing the pathos with fat jokes and clumsy physical comedy.
Between BRIDESMAIDS, IDENTITY THIEF, and THE HEAT, McCarthy has had a real solid wave of momentum over the past couple of years, but seeing as they had trouble cobbling together a decent trailer out of this film's jokes, I don't see this doing anything to sustain said momentum. Let's hope her reteam with Paul Feig, next year's SPY, will use the talented comedienne in a more interesting, less obvious way.
TAMMY rattles off hastily-improvised jokes and pop references on July 2nd.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 23 total posts 19 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 720 total posts 6 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 419 total posts 6 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 377 total posts 5 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 29 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 3 total posts 3 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 31 total posts 2 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 569 total posts 2 posts
- Badger Narrates The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- "Do you understand what it's like to be a genius?!!" Dan Harmon takes his show on the road in this trailer for HARMONTOWN! -- 19 total posts 1 post