Melissa McCarthy treks cross-country with grandmother Susan Sarandon in this trailer for TAMMY!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
The first trailer for Melissa McCarthy's TAMMY, which she co-wrote with husband Ben Falcone (who also directed), focused on a mid-section scene where the titular character holds up a fast foot joint using her finger and a couple of judiciously applied paper bags. This longer look at the McCarthy vehicle still uses that scene as a centerpiece, and gives away basically all the gags within before laying out the road trip story that actually serves as the film's plot.
I got a chance to see this flick recently, and despite applauding McCarthy and Falcone on attempting to create a showcase for her talents themselves, I don't have high hopes for its commercial prospects. Despite a high-wattage cast, including Susan Sarandon (who is really the co-lead of the movie), Mark Duplass, Gary Cole, Toni Collette, Kathy Bates, Sandra Oh, and Dan freakin' Aykroyd, the film, about a white-trash young woman and her grandma fleeing away from their podunk lives to Niagra Falls, lands really softly. The robbery bit that the trailers lean so hard on is one of the only solidly funny sections of the film, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the film (and now you've already seen it, saving you 10 bucks). Even for the more diehard McCarthy fans, it may prove less than satisfying, due to her decision to make the film a BRIDESMAIDS-esque dramedy about a sad, loser-y character, but still buttressing the pathos with fat jokes and clumsy physical comedy.
Between BRIDESMAIDS, IDENTITY THIEF, and THE HEAT, McCarthy has had a real solid wave of momentum over the past couple of years, but seeing as they had trouble cobbling together a decent trailer out of this film's jokes, I don't see this doing anything to sustain said momentum. Let's hope her reteam with Paul Feig, next year's SPY, will use the talented comedienne in a more interesting, less obvious way.
TAMMY rattles off hastily-improvised jokes and pop references on July 2nd.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Filed under "you're damn right it's 2014," Kevin Smith to direct Johnny Depp in YOGA HOSERS!! -- 244 total posts 54 posts
- Trailer for New Stephen King Thriller, A GOOD MARRIAGE! -- 36 total posts 28 posts
- Here’s Our First Official Image From The ANT-MAN Movie!! -- 290 total posts 18 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- SHERLOCK’s Benedict Cumberbatch To Play Another Khan In Warner Bros’ JUNGLE BOOK Movie!! -- 102 total posts 13 posts
- The OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN sequel, LONDON HAS FALLEN gets a director and rumored synopsis! -- 178 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out the International Poster for HORNS! -- 35 total posts 9 posts
- Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg to Re-Team on New Film! -- 92 total posts 9 posts
- Drew McWeeny Drops By For The Latest Episode Of "Fire Talk With Me"! Blu-ray Contest Winner Announced! -- 25 total posts 8 posts
- A Tuesday MiniDocback Brings DOCTOR WHO S8 Promo Images, Moffat's MicroSynopses For S8 Eps, A Look At The New York & Mexican Premieres Of ‘Deep Breath’, And More!! -- 21 total posts 8 posts