AICN COMICS: Remembers EC Horror co-creator Al Feldstein…
Feldstein began his tenure at Bill Gaines’ Entertaining Comics in March of 1948, put to work by Gaines on ARCHIE knock-off teen comic GOING STEADY WITH PEGGY. Feldstein got as far as writing and penciling the first issue when Gaines called him into his office to tell him the series was dead. Gaines and Feldstein realized that aping other companies’ books was essentially playing follow-the-leader, with the imitators never living up to the originals’ success. Gaines and Feldstein boldly decided to become innovators in the field and publish stories that no other company was writing. The two men realized that they shared a love of science fiction, horror and the macabre—both had been avid listeners of radio programs such as “Inner Sanctum” and “Lights Out”—and thus was born the one-two punch of horror and science fiction comics.
An artist by training, Feldstein soon found himself in the role of head writer. He and Gaines would discuss story ideas in the morning, Gaines having jotted down little plot lines he called “springboards” which he would submit to Feldstein for consideration. Once the stories were agreed upon, Feldstein would go to the drawing board and write the stories directly onto the illustration board. His grounding as an artist gave Feldstein a natural ability to break down a story visually and quickly determine the pacing and panel division on each page. At the inception of this new line of EC’s comics Feldstein also contributed artwork for the stories as well as covers (mostly for the science fiction titles), but as time went on and more artists were brought into the EC family, Feldstein began to focus more on the writing and editing and less on the artwork. This was how Al Feldstein came to write nearly every story published in EC’s lineup, an amazing body of work that numbers over 1200 stories in just over five years.
Feldstein was the man responsible for the gleefully tongue-in-cheek attitudes of the GhouLunatic hosts of TALES FROM THE CRYPT, THE HAUNT OF FEAR and THE VAULT OF HORROR, making these horrific tales of murder and mayhem a fun thrill-ride that entertained as well as terrified. But he also wrote serious, thought-provoking stories (some of which were morality tales dubbed “preachies” by Feldstein and Gaines) that remain some of the best of the genre. Feldstein’s “Judgment Day,” a sci-fi parable about racism, still has the same impact today as it did back in 1955.
After nearly four decades in the industry, Feldstein retired in 1985. He moved to Montana, where he continued to draw and paint, recreating some of his most famous EC covers to sell at conventions. His influence on the comic book industry is all around us—just look at the stands today and you’ll see horror comics, zombie titles and sci-fi covers proudly standing next to their superhero kin. Bill Gaines may have been the mad scientist who conceived of the horror comic book, but Al Feldstein was the trusty lab assistant who injected the fluid that brought the genre to life.
When released from his bottle, the Imp transforms into Stephen Andrade, an artist/illustrator/pirate monkey painter from New England. He's currently hard at work interpreting fellow @$$Hole Optimous Douche's brainwaves and transforming them into pretty pictures on AVERAGE JOE, an original graphic novel to be published by Com.x. You can see some of his artwork here.
Proofs, co-edits & common sense provided by Sleazy G
Find out what are BLACK MASK STUDIOS and OCCUPY COMICS here and on Facebook here!
Want more in all things Geek?
Check out PoptardsGo and on Facebook here!
Check out AICN COMICS on Facebook and Comixpedia!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 244 total posts 143 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 112 total posts 112 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 244 total posts 107 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 64 total posts 64 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! -- 63 total posts 63 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 146 total posts 55 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 106 total posts 50 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 66 total posts 38 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 447 total posts 36 posts
- The Premiere Of TIM & ERIC’s BEDTIME STORIES!! New GARFUNKEL, HAVEN & LOSER!! HONORABLE, RUSH, WORST, NAKED, MARRIED & SATISFACTION Finales!! The Return Of BREAKING AMISH!! Terry Gilliam On COLBERT!! Carmen Lynch On CRAIG!! Julianna & Viggo On SETH!! Ali Wong @MIDNIGHT!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 26 total posts 23 posts