20th Century Fox Developing A New Adaptation Of Richard Matheson's HELL HOUSE!
"HELL HOUSE is the scariest haunted house novel ever written. It looms over the rest the way the mountains loom over the foothills." -Stephen King
This is not frivolous praise. I re-read HELL HOUSE a few years ago before interviewing Richard Matheson, and I lost a few nights of sleep because of it. The book calls its shot early: a physicist, his wife and two mediums (one of which survived a previous investigation of the dwelling) are offered $100,000 apiece to set up shop in the Mt. Everest of haunted houses in order to find tangible proof of life after death. They quickly learn that the house is infested with malevolence. Never read the book? Order it now. You're welcome.
Matheson adapted his novel for director John Hough in 1973, and the resulting film, THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, is a tremendously effective haunted house flick. But it's not really HELL HOUSE. If done right, HELL HOUSE would be a hard R-rated horror film that contains some of the most shockingly sacrilegious imagery this side of THE EXORCIST. We've already got the PG-rated version. If someone wants to give it another big-screen go, I want the uncut Matheson.
According to Shock Til You Drop, 20th Century Fox is developing a "remake" of THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, which makes me think they're looking to cash in on the success of THE CONJURING (which was a PG-13 haunted house film regardless of what the MPAA says). I cannot imagine any studio in town committing to a graphically violent haunted house movie nowadays, but a Matheson fan can dream. There's no writer or director attached to this remake just yet, but I imagine we'll hear some names soon. Fingers crossed that Fox will honor the late Matheson's wishes and go balls-to-the-wall with this iteration.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 232 total posts 232 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 355 total posts 128 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 115 total posts 115 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 284 total posts 100 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 116 total posts 63 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 35 total posts 35 posts
- A First And Promising Trailer For NIGHTFALL, The Ridley Scott Produced HALOverse Digital Series!! -- 29 total posts 29 posts