So, John McTiernan...
Those hoping to see John McTiernan working again (myself included - boy do we need a filmmaker like him right now) may be one teeny, tiny step closer to getting their wish.
In short: seems the creative bug is very much alive in McT - and in the current issue of Empire he discusses two of the projects he’s currently forging. He’s scripted a sequel called THOMAS CROWN AND THE MISSING LIONESS. This is a follow-up to his rather excellent 1999 adaptation of Norman Jewison’s 1968 caper…
“Nebuchadnezzar had two lion statues commissioned in 1100BC: a male and a female,” explained McTiernan of the title’s provenance. “Alexander the Great took them when he conquered Persia. Mark Antony had them taken to Rome. Constantine moved them to Constantinople. And at some point the lioness went missing. The movie is about what happens when it turns up at an auction. By the way, it’s all bullshit; none of that ever happened.”
…says THIS piece at Empire, which goes on to reveal McTiernan is still working on the previously announced RED SQUARE - which at one point had Nicolas Cage and Colin Farrell attached. Empire says…
…per the synopsis we have so far, involves a former DEA agent (presumably Cage, should he sign on) who has gone rogue and runs a team of mercenaries. Their latest mission takes them to Mexico, to take out a drug lord.
While it’s entirely feasible neither of these projects will ever see the light of day, the important takeaway from this news is that McTiernan hasn’t given up hope of stepping behind the camera once more. With another EXPENDABLES film in the works, persistent indicators of a new DIE HARD picture, and so many more McT-ish projects currently spinning around…who knows? Anything is possible.
I mean, hell, I don’t think this would ever happen given the day-to-day political realities driving the franchises — but I would erupt into an ELG (Extinction Level Geekasm) if I ever heard the news that McTiernan was helming a STAR TREK or STAR WARS or Marvel movie. I always thought he’d make a rather amazing BATMAN film, for example.
Could such wild ponderings ever actualize? I honestly can not say. But they're fun to think about all the same…
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 197 total posts 197 posts
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 125 total posts 125 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- From The Wasteland Emerges A MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Teaser Poster! -- 121 total posts 121 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 217 total posts 76 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 392 total posts 65 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 61 total posts 61 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 105 total posts 56 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 205 total posts 47 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 43 total posts 43 posts