STAR WARS: EPISODE VII and on will NOT be using Expanded Universe mythology!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Lucasfilm released a statement today confirming what many of us already knew: the STAR WARS Expanded Universe, which has been explored in novel, comic, cartoon, and videogame form since the franchise's inception, will NOT be considered part of the official SW canon. The new films will be completely original stories, taking into account only the previous six STAR WARS films and the CLONE WARS film/series (presumably including the original two miniseries). This means no Han/Leia twins, no dead Chewbacca, no Palpatine clones, and perhaps most distressingly, no living, breathing Boba Fett hanging off the teeth of the Sarlac by his cape (actually, they may keep that one).
However, from here on out, there will be a "story group" that will focus on interconnecting the plotlines from the various TV shows, novels, video games, comics, and of course movies that are currently in development, in order to create a unified universe out of this upcoming rollout of STAR WARS content. Kathleen Kennedy seems to be taking the "godfather" role that Joss Whedon has with the MCU, and will probably the final judge in what becomes part of SW canon and what won't find a place in the franchise.
The first "offical" entry in this new canon will be the STAR WARS REBELS special/series set to debut sometime this fall, but if you want to start catching up with characters, plot points, or entities that may pop up in the next three films, THE CLONE WARS series is currently available on Netflix Instant (including its brand-spanking-new sixth season).
This was all but given, seeing as the EU has rarely crossed over into the canon of the features (Coruscant, first mentioned in 1991's Heir to the Empire), is a major exception), but certain fans still expected J.J. & co. to stick with the narrative they presumed was to come from the post-JEDI SW universe. This officially confirms that they're starting from scratch, and that Kennedy, Kasdan, and Abrams have something brand new in store for us. Which makes this new run of flicks even more exciting, from my perspective.
But if you think that no one ever really cared about the Expanded Universe and that it's a given they'd tear it down with a wrecking ball, check out this video that details just how wrong that notion is:
STAR WARS: EPISODE VII - GIVE US MONEY FOR HARRISON'S PAYCHECK flies into your galaxy on December 18th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 321 total posts 164 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 115 total posts 74 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 59 total posts 22 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 107 total posts 21 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 42 total posts 16 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 282 total posts 12 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 292 total posts 10 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 191 total posts 5 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts