Mark Strong to play Sacha Baron Cohen's badass spy brother in GRIMSBY!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
When Sacha Baron Cohen's GRIMSBY was first announced a few months back, we weren't sure which character the BORAT/BRUNO actor would be playing; the film was about a suave superspy and his estranged soccer hooligan brother, but we had no idea whether Cohen was going to play the smoothie or the wildcard. It's been cleared up, now that SHERLOCK HOLMES/KICK-ASS actor Mark Strong has signed on to play the black ops agent, leaving Cohen the role of his unhinged ruffian brother.
This is Cohen's first leading role without director Larry Charles since 2002's ALI G INDAHOUSE, so expect it to have a different feel from his prior improv-heavy films, including the relatively conventional (narratively-speaking) THE DICTATOR. Louis Leterrier, who had a surprise hit last year with NOW YOU SEE ME, is making this his first outright comedy, but instead of another comedian, he's hired Strong to play opposite Cohen, which makes me think this may be more of a straightforward action-comedy than we might have expected. Still, Cohen co-wrote the script (with BORAT writer Peter Baynham and WRECK-IT RALPH scribe Phil Johnston), so I don't doubt there will be at least some inspired comedy moments amidst the bro banter and action set pieces.
If nothing else, watching Cohen and the ever-dependable Strong bounce off each other should be pretty fun, no?
GRIMSBY is currently set to start globe-hopping on July 31st, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 178 total posts 50 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 127 total posts 18 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 175 total posts 10 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 118 total posts 8 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 163 total posts 4 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- AICN Tabletop: Abstruse Reports On GenCon 2014! -- 14 total posts 2 posts
- Creepy Dolls and Satanic Cults! Full ANNABELLE Trailer is Here! -- 99 total posts 2 posts
- BIG BROTHER Eviction Nine!! RECTIFY & ROOKIE BLUE Finales!! New GARFUNKLE, JESUS, NAKED, QUEST, WORST, MARRIED, MYTHBUSTERS, RUSH, RECTIFY, DOOMSDAY, DEFIANCE, SWEDEN, SATISFACTION, ENGELS, GAME, BOO BOO, BAD, BIBLE!! Bunnymen On LETTERMAN!! Rehearsals On CONAN!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 2 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 163 total posts 2 posts