Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Twentieth Century Fox has locked down the rights to FLASH GORDON, and has hired a pair of writers to bring Alex Raymond's creation to the big screen for the first time in 35 years (not counting TED). J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, hot off their work alongside Roberto Orci on STAR TREK 3, have been tasked by Fox to expand the treatment by George Nolfi (OCEAN'S TWELVE, THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM) into a shootable script. This is apparently a sort of passion project for producer John Davis (the PREDATORs, CHRONICLE), who allegedly spent a year (and some of his own money) trying to nail down the rights to the world-famous 80-year-old property.
I, like many members of my generation, know FLASH GORDON primarily through Mike Hodges' 1980 feature film, with its 70s-era camp sensibilities (that football scene!!), the dubbed, stiff-as-a-board Sam J. Jones performance, and the legendary Queen soundtrack, but it's one of those Princess of Mars entities that has inspired countless iconic sci-fi books, comics, and films since its inception in 1934. It's not hard to imagine a contemporary, JOHN CARTER-esque sci-fi adventure in the FLASH universe, and Hodges' film (and, admittedly, TED) has kept the character fresher in audiences minds than Burroughs' creation was when CARTER bombed two years ago. If they get the right director and leading man for this flick (and maybe even a Von Sydow-level Ming the Merciless), this could do what CARTER and GREEN LANTERN couldn't, and successfully update the character for both fanboys and the mall crowds.
Who would you guys want to see directing and starring in a new FLASH GORDON movie? James Gunn and Chris Pratt? Matthew Vaughn and Chris or Liam Hemsworth? That old fanboy "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" Terry Gilliam and whoever the hell he wants to cast as the lead because in the universe where Terry Gilliam could direct FLASH GORDON Gilliam can cast whomever he damn well pleases??
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 531 total posts 117 posts
- Timur Bekmambetov Finds His Ben-Hur For, Well, BEN-HUR!! -- 87 total posts 87 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 336 total posts 60 posts
- Promo Images From DOCTOR WHO S08E05 - ‘Time Heist’!! -- 130 total posts 28 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 226 total posts 24 posts
- 12 TIFF reviews from 'garbageman33' covers everything from Gyllenhaal in NIGHTCRAWLER to Baumbach's WHILE WE'RE YOUNG! -- 25 total posts 23 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 185 total posts 21 posts
- Meryl Streep Bewitches the First INTO THE WOODS Poster! -- 68 total posts 17 posts
- AICN COMICS Reviews: Grant Morrison’s ANNIHILATOR! HAWKEYE! DUNGEONS & DRAGONS! SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! TOM CLANCY’S SPLINTER CELL! & More! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 153 total posts 13 posts