Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Twentieth Century Fox has locked down the rights to FLASH GORDON, and has hired a pair of writers to bring Alex Raymond's creation to the big screen for the first time in 35 years (not counting TED). J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, hot off their work alongside Roberto Orci on STAR TREK 3, have been tasked by Fox to expand the treatment by George Nolfi (OCEAN'S TWELVE, THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM) into a shootable script. This is apparently a sort of passion project for producer John Davis (the PREDATORs, CHRONICLE), who allegedly spent a year (and some of his own money) trying to nail down the rights to the world-famous 80-year-old property.
I, like many members of my generation, know FLASH GORDON primarily through Mike Hodges' 1980 feature film, with its 70s-era camp sensibilities (that football scene!!), the dubbed, stiff-as-a-board Sam J. Jones performance, and the legendary Queen soundtrack, but it's one of those Princess of Mars entities that has inspired countless iconic sci-fi books, comics, and films since its inception in 1934. It's not hard to imagine a contemporary, JOHN CARTER-esque sci-fi adventure in the FLASH universe, and Hodges' film (and, admittedly, TED) has kept the character fresher in audiences minds than Burroughs' creation was when CARTER bombed two years ago. If they get the right director and leading man for this flick (and maybe even a Von Sydow-level Ming the Merciless), this could do what CARTER and GREEN LANTERN couldn't, and successfully update the character for both fanboys and the mall crowds.
Who would you guys want to see directing and starring in a new FLASH GORDON movie? James Gunn and Chris Pratt? Matthew Vaughn and Chris or Liam Hemsworth? That old fanboy "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" Terry Gilliam and whoever the hell he wants to cast as the lead because in the universe where Terry Gilliam could direct FLASH GORDON Gilliam can cast whomever he damn well pleases??
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A Provocative New Trailer For THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES!! Nic Cage, Tim Burton, Kevin Smith… -- 329 total posts 329 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 204 total posts 204 posts
- Filed under "you're damn right it's 2014," Kevin Smith to direct Johnny Depp in YOGA HOSERS!! -- 288 total posts 98 posts
- Trailer for New Stephen King Thriller, A GOOD MARRIAGE! -- 85 total posts 77 posts
- Don't count Andy Serkis' JUNGLE BOOK out just yet! He's scored Batman, Galadriel, Moneypenny, and Smaug for his cast! -- 65 total posts 65 posts
- Superman gets a new costume for BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 52 total posts 52 posts
- Here’s Our First Official Image From The ANT-MAN Movie!! -- 306 total posts 34 posts
- New TV Spot for OUIJA! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- SHERLOCK’s Benedict Cumberbatch To Play Another Khan In Warner Bros’ JUNGLE BOOK Movie!! -- 114 total posts 25 posts
- Trailer for Action-Thriller '71, Starring Jack O'Connell! -- 24 total posts 24 posts