Steven Soderbergh Takes A Cleaver To Michael Cimino With HEAVEN'S GATE: THE BUTCHER'S CUT!
"I acknowledge that what I have done with this film is both immoral and illegal."
Steven Soderbergh possesses one of the most brilliant editorial minds in modern cinema. His films rarely contain an ounce of fat, while his colleagues frequently request his assistance in cutting down and clarifying movies that have gotten away from them for one reason or another (most recently, he helped Spike Jonze tidy up his masterpiece HER). He also loves writing about editing on his blog Extension 765, providing incisive insight on films as disparate as CHINATOWN and ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (which, not so coincidenally, was the directorial debut of editor Peter R. Hunt). It is clearly a consuming passion for him. And that passion has prompted him to do something utterly insane: he's chopped down Michael Cimino's HEAVEN'S GATE to 108 minutes.
I haven't had time to watch this whole nutty exercise (subtitled "The Butcher's Cut"), but I love his brash decision to skip the entire Harvard sequence and start on the crane shot of the settler carving up stolen cattle. I have no idea if Cimino's film can withstand a 219-minute to 108-minute truncation (it certainly didn't work at 149 minutes when rereleased in 1981), but I'm excited to see what Soderbergh has come up with.
If you have never seen HEAVEN'S GATE, find the restored cut and watch that first. This version of the film might not make a whole lot of sense if you don't know what's missing (after being obsessed with the film for twenty-seven years, Soderbergh completed this edit while on holiday break in 2006). Or maybe it will make sense, further cementing Soderbergh's reputation as an editorial virtuoso.
The video cannot be embedded, so you'll have to visit Soderbergh's site to watch the movie.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 174 total posts 122 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 174 total posts 67 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 92 total posts 39 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 88 total posts 36 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 45 total posts 23 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 74 total posts 21 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 356 total posts 20 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 70 total posts 17 posts
- Harry Potter Gets Horny!! No, Really!! See, He Has HORNS!! -- 71 total posts 12 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 249 total posts 12 posts