"Three crazy women for five weeks is a lot more than I bargained for!" Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank navigate the old west in this French-subtitled trailer for THE HOMESMAN!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
This look at Tommy Lee Jones' second feature film as a director (fourth if you count his TV work), THE HOMESMAN, makes it seem like a particularly gritty slice of western. Jones plays a guy quite literally on the noose when Hilary Swank's (widowed?) farmer saves his life, in return for quite a large favor. He has to help her transport three mentally ill women across state lines, from Nebraska to Iowa, where a facility can take better care of them than their ill-equipped husbands. He kvetches, and lays out the threats, including rapists, marauders, and murderous Natives, but he's got no choice in the matter, and has to help Swank traverse the dangerous 1850's western landscape.
I love how the trailer keeps the focus on Jones, Swank, and the task at hand, rather than the violence or the rather extensive cast. Aside from those two Academy Award-winners, the film boasts the presence of Hailee Steinfeld, John Lithgow, James Spader, William Fichtner, Jesse Plemons, Tim Blake Nelson, and Meryl freakin' Streep (blink and you'll miss her). But it's the relationship between Jones and Swank's characters, and the implications of the situation (the dangers of the west have driven these women to the brink, making this a sort of mood-inverted A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST) that make the biggest impressions. I want to see these characters go on this quest together, and to grow and overcome daunting odds and all that good stuff.
Jones' work on THE THREE BURIALS AND MELQUIADES ESTRADA and THE SUNSET LIMITED (both highly recommended) makes this film something of a must-see, even without the excellent cast (which certainly doesn't hurt). Jones and Swank are both terrific actors who don't appear onscreen nearly enough, and I bet it'll be a joy to see them interacting for the length of this picture.
THE HOMESMAN doesn't currently have a U.S. release date, but is expected to premiere at Cannes next month. We'll know for sure when the lineup is announced this Thursday.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 203 total posts 76 posts
- International Trailer and Clip for Australian Horror Film THE BABADOOK! -- 49 total posts 37 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 247 total posts 36 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 545 total posts 23 posts
- "Welcome to the Glade." New trailer for THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 38 total posts 19 posts
- Who has been offered the directing gig on Legendary's SKULL ISLAND!?! -- 240 total posts 15 posts
- Red Band Trailer for THE DEAD 2: INDIA! -- 27 total posts 14 posts
- Eva Green in Talks for Tim Burton's MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN! -- 121 total posts 13 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 716 total posts 11 posts
- Trailer for THE LONGEST WEEK, Starring Jason Bateman, Billy Crudup and Olivia Wilde! -- 29 total posts 11 posts