Is Baz Luhrmann about to make a big screen adaptation of KUNG FU?!!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Here's something weird to think about over the weekend. Baz Luhrmann, the madcap director responsible for such flicks as WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S ROMEO+ JULIET, MOULIN ROUGE, and THE GREAT GATSBY, is eyeballing a 30+ year-old TV show for his next project. It ain't I DREAM OF JEANNIE, and it ain't GILLIGAN'S ISLAND.
It is the Bruce Lee co-created, David Carradine starring ABC series KUNG FU. Yes, that KUNG FU. With Caine wandering the earth and all that.
THR claims Luhrmann's in talks to update the series, about a half-caucasian half-Chinese Shaolin monk (played by the fully-caucasian David Carradine) who traverses the west, setting right what once went wrong (or is that another show…). The current script by AIRHEADS/XXX writer Rich Wilkes (also responsible for the overlooked GLORY DAZE w/ Ben Affleck and Sam Rockwell) apparently moves the action to China, where Caine will be searching for his father instead of his half-brother from the original series. However, if Luhrmann signs on, he's expected to rewrite the script to his liking, so nothing's solid on what it'll end up being about.
The martial arts western only has a few well-known entries, like SHANGHAI NOON or arguably BILLY JACK, but if Luhrmann can make the genre his own the way he did the Shakespeare adaptation and booming '20s high-society romance, this should be something more than your average dusted-off TV adaptation. His films usually have a few "action" scenes, but he's never depicted hand-to-hand violence before, so the jury's out on whether he has a knack for it or not. One of the senior AICNers says it "could be either awesome or a disaster," and I'd have to agree, but I have a feeling no matter what this ends up being, it'll be something worthy of our interest.
So, who do we want for our new Kwai Chang Cain, presuming they're casting a full-on Asian this time? Jet Li (my personal choice), Iko Urwais (Nordling's pick), Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, or someone completely different?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 254 total posts 139 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 540 total posts 27 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 262 total posts 19 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 272 total posts 19 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 42 total posts 7 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 552 total posts 3 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 345 total posts 3 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No STRAIN This Week!! No LEFTOVERS Finale Either!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 199 total posts 2 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 157 total posts 2 posts