Is Baz Luhrmann about to make a big screen adaptation of KUNG FU?!!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Here's something weird to think about over the weekend. Baz Luhrmann, the madcap director responsible for such flicks as WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S ROMEO+ JULIET, MOULIN ROUGE, and THE GREAT GATSBY, is eyeballing a 30+ year-old TV show for his next project. It ain't I DREAM OF JEANNIE, and it ain't GILLIGAN'S ISLAND.
It is the Bruce Lee co-created, David Carradine starring ABC series KUNG FU. Yes, that KUNG FU. With Caine wandering the earth and all that.
THR claims Luhrmann's in talks to update the series, about a half-caucasian half-Chinese Shaolin monk (played by the fully-caucasian David Carradine) who traverses the west, setting right what once went wrong (or is that another show…). The current script by AIRHEADS/XXX writer Rich Wilkes (also responsible for the overlooked GLORY DAZE w/ Ben Affleck and Sam Rockwell) apparently moves the action to China, where Caine will be searching for his father instead of his half-brother from the original series. However, if Luhrmann signs on, he's expected to rewrite the script to his liking, so nothing's solid on what it'll end up being about.
The martial arts western only has a few well-known entries, like SHANGHAI NOON or arguably BILLY JACK, but if Luhrmann can make the genre his own the way he did the Shakespeare adaptation and booming '20s high-society romance, this should be something more than your average dusted-off TV adaptation. His films usually have a few "action" scenes, but he's never depicted hand-to-hand violence before, so the jury's out on whether he has a knack for it or not. One of the senior AICNers says it "could be either awesome or a disaster," and I'd have to agree, but I have a feeling no matter what this ends up being, it'll be something worthy of our interest.
So, who do we want for our new Kwai Chang Cain, presuming they're casting a full-on Asian this time? Jet Li (my personal choice), Iko Urwais (Nordling's pick), Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, or someone completely different?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 284 total posts 56 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 233 total posts 48 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 91 total posts 38 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 35 total posts 35 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 281 total posts 34 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 287 total posts 12 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 243 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out this New Poster for HORNS! -- 34 total posts 7 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint reports in on the panel of The Giver! Footage! Jeff Bridges Q&A! -- 14 total posts 5 posts