AICN COMICS Q&@: Russ Sheath talks with Aspen Comics’ Siya Oum about her new comic LOLA XOXO!
@’s by LOLA XOXO’s Siya Oum!!!
An Aspen regular and fan favorite, Siya has contributed covers and art to some of Aspen's most recognisable books including CHARISMAGIC and FATHOM. With an artistic style that is distinctly Aspen yet uniquely her own, This week sees the launch of LOLA XOXO, Siya's first, full comics project. I spoke with Siya Oum about LOLA XOXO, working at Aspen and her plans for comics domination.
RUSS SHEATH (RS): Siya, tell us about LOLA XOXO, where the idea came from and the background to the story itself?
SIYA OUM (SO): I love the post-apocalyptic genre in books, video games, and movies. I have also been curious as to how a pretty girl would make it in that type of environment. It's interesting enough in today's world to see how someone is judged solely based on looks. I generally don't take things at face value, Lola is the exploration of that.
RS: Tell us a little about the cast of characters?
SO: I call them the motley crews. They had to survive a huge change from the world as we know it. What you will see and read is mankind at it's most basic, when left in devastation.
RS: Was it important to have a female protagonist when embarking on the creation of the story that became LOLA XOXO?
SO: I doodled Lola a few years ago, and as I did, I'd make up little stories for her. I actually had a previous concept I was developing with David Wohl, that had two brothers. It's important that a character's story is compelling enough to tell.
RS: You are a regular at Aspen, but this is your first creator owned series, right? How has working at Aspen influenced the development of the project?
SO: They are very honest folks. I don't remember a time when they weren't blunt with me about my development as an artist/creator. Having worked with Aspen for so long much of their characters and the art itself has always been a huge influence on me. Every time I write or draw something I always think first, what would one of the guys critique be if I did something a certain way.
RS: Did you draw upon any particular influences for the book whether for the story, or creatively / artistically?
SO: I love video games! I love the post-apocalyptic genre. I drew from Mad Max and Fallout 3. The genre itself lends to a lot of creativity both with the look and feel, as well as story. What would we do if we were put in those situations? How would we defend and ourselves while trying to maintain a sense of normalcy.
RS: Tell us about your creative process, are you working digitally? Is that beneficial when writing and pencilling your own work?
SO: I am laying out the pages, penciling, inking, and coloring in traditional mediums. I scan it into Photoshop to do some tweaking if the colors seem off from the original pages.
There's definitely a huge benefit to writing and drawing your own material. It's much easier to change something up that needs to be changed right away, whether it's dialogue, adding a panel, etc. I get a lot of great input from my colleagues on art and writing so I can incorporate everything on the fly.
RS: How long is the series?
SO: I planned it for 18 issues, but really, I'd like it to be ongoing.
RS: Aspen is well known for its stable of fantastic cover artists, will we be seeing any variants from yourself or any other Aspen artists?
SO: You most definitely will! I admire many artists and have already gotten a couple of covers done. It will mostly be collaborative in terms of line-art and colors.
RS: Siya, thanks for talking to AICN.
LOLA XOXO #1 is out this week from Aspen Comics.
Follow Siya on Twitter @siyaoum and check out her website here!
Follow Russ Sheath's blog Russwords here and @russellsheath on Twitter.
Proofs, co-edits & common sense provided by Sleazy G
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 459 total posts 299 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 234 total posts 193 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 190 total posts 104 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 32 total posts 32 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 62 total posts 25 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 306 total posts 24 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 49 total posts 23 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 292 total posts 22 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 195 total posts 9 posts