The trailer for CHEF features some serious food and and an even more serious cast!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Jon Favreau's return to his indie roots, CHEF, certainly seems somewhat more conventional than what I was expecting. The story kind of parallels Farvreau's own trajectory as a director; up-and-coming director who got hired by the big dogs (Marvel in real life, Dustin Hoffman's upscale joint in the flick), only to find the restrictions of his high-demand position somewhat stifling, before going out on his own again to make something that is totally "his." The weird thing is, in the case of the film, it doesn't seem quite as non-mainstream as you'd expect, nor does it contain any of the charming hilarity that defined his early work, specifically SWINGERS and MADE. Granted, this is just a trailer meant to package the premise and star-power for the masses, and I'm holding out hope that the final product has that Favreau charm that made his first films so engaging and memorable.
Speaking of star-power, the trailer does do a good job of sneaking all the famous faces into this 2-and-a-half minute peek. Aside from Favreau in his first lead role in a decade, you got Bobby Cannavale and John Leguizamo as his fellow chefs, Sofia Vergara as Favs' ex-wife, Scarlett Johansson as a girl who apparently has the hots for him despite looking like Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr. in the kind of role Downey used to take before Favs gave him Phase 2 (see what I did there) of his career with IRON MAN, and the aforementioned Hoffman as an uppity restauranteur.
I like the idea of putting food trucks and artisinal cooking front and center in this flick, even if the stuff we see in this trailer pales in comparison to the food (of questionable origin) that HANNIBAL serves to his pals and confidantes week after week. Still, Favs did have big-name chefs helping him out on the production, so I bet the real film features some mouth-watering dishes, and I have no doubt this is one of those BIG NIGHT films that will instantly make you hungry,
CHEF gets cookin' on May 9th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 244 total posts 143 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 112 total posts 112 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 244 total posts 107 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 64 total posts 64 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! -- 63 total posts 63 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 146 total posts 55 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 106 total posts 50 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 66 total posts 38 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 447 total posts 36 posts
- The Premiere Of TIM & ERIC’s BEDTIME STORIES!! New GARFUNKEL, HAVEN & LOSER!! HONORABLE, RUSH, WORST, NAKED, MARRIED & SATISFACTION Finales!! The Return Of BREAKING AMISH!! Terry Gilliam On COLBERT!! Carmen Lynch On CRAIG!! Julianna & Viggo On SETH!! Ali Wong @MIDNIGHT!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 26 total posts 23 posts