Sam Mendes wants Chiwetel Ejiofor for his next Bond villain!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
After a couple of somewhat-forgettable Eurotrash villain turns by normally magnetic actors Mads Mikkelsen and Mathieu Amalric, Javier Bardem made a huge splash (and, allegedly, almost scored himself an Oscar nom) for his deformed, haunted ex-spy Raoul Silva, cementing a place for himself in the pantheon of all-time great Bond baddies. For the next go-around, it seems that returning director Sam Mendes is not setting the bar any lower, and wants to hire recent Best Actor nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor to face off against Bond in his 24th adventure. Ejiofor's not in "formal talks" just yet, but Mendes wants him, and that's something.
Aside from having proven his talents as a leading man in movies like DIRTY PRETTY THINGS, REDBELT, and, of course, 12 YEARS A SLAVE (never said anything negative about his performance), Ejiofor was a pitch-perfect villain in Joss Whedon's SERENITY. His Operative was cold and calculating, but driven and oddly philosophical. Unlike the savage Reavers or the totalitarian Alliance, The Operative proved to be a devastating threat to Mal and his crew by wholly believing in his cause, to the point of calmly acknowledging that the world he was helping to build would have no place for his presence, despite his efforts. His was a particular brand of villainy that is usually unseen in the Bond flicks, and if he signs on, BOND 24 is already sounding pretty damn awesome.
Whatever happens, Craig, Ralph Finnes, Naomi Harris, and Ben Whishaw are all signed to reprise their respective roles, so I'm hoping Mendes can pull out another SKYFALL, and once again elevates the integrity of one of (if not the) longest-running big-budget franchises of cinema history.
JAMES BOND VS. THE OPERATIVE (just a suggestion for the final title) fires its PPK into the camera on November 6th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 240 total posts 12 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 259 total posts 12 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 195 total posts 10 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 59 total posts 6 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint reports in on the panel of The Giver! Footage! Jeff Bridges Q&A! -- 12 total posts 3 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 236 total posts 3 posts
- Check Out this New Poster for HORNS! -- 30 total posts 3 posts
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 278 total posts 3 posts
- Spierig Brothers to Write and Direct WINCHESTER for Hammer! -- 11 total posts 2 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 214 total posts 2 posts