That PETE'S DRAGON remake from the director of AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS is looking like it's gonna happen!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
A year ago, we learned that AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS director David Lowery was assigned to script and maybe possibly direct a remake of the family-film classic, PETE'S DRAGON. It's looking more sure than ever that he'll helm the remake, as The Wrap announced today that Lowery is "in negotiations to direct" the update of the 1977 animation/live-action hybrid for Disney. Lowery co-wrote the script with his BODIES SAINTS producer, Toby Halbrooks, which apparently "reinvents the core of the original," and almost definitely won't feature any musical numbers (even though the song "Candle on the Water" scored the original's only Oscar nomination).
Lowery seems like an outside-the-box pick until you remember that his first feature as a director, ST. NICK, featured a young boy and girl in starring roles, proving his ability to handle child actors. That'll prove an asset in updating Disney's tale of a young orphan who moves into a strange town, and has only an occasionally-invisible dragon named Pete as a companion.
Maybe this only feels like a recent trend, but Disney's really plumbing their vaults for recognizable properties these days, and while PETE'S DRAGON doesn't have the cultural cache of SLEEPING BEAUTY or CINDERELLA, it still holds a special place the hearts of a particular generation. Alongside MARY POPPINS and BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS, it was one of the prime examples of successful integration between live-action and animation, in those days before Robert Zemeckis and Roger Williams schooled everyone with their work on WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT. I frequently saw PETE'S DRAGON among family VHS collections (remember those big-ass clamshell cases?) in the early-to-mid-'90s, so I'm fairly sure there's an audience out there nostalgic for this story of a boy and his dragon.
Let's see who Lowery picks as the 21st-century equivalents of Shelley Winters, Red Buttons, and Mickey Rooney (who could still make a totally welcome cameo).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 218 total posts 117 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 204 total posts 67 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 132 total posts 41 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 39 total posts 39 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 92 total posts 36 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 440 total posts 29 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 49 total posts 21 posts
- The Premiere Of TIM & ERIC’s BEDTIME STORIES!! New GARFUNKEL, HAVEN & LOSER!! HONORABLE, RUSH, WORST, NAKED, MARRIED & SATISFACTION Finales!! The Return Of BREAKING AMISH!! Terry Gilliam On COLBERT!! Carmen Lynch On CRAIG!! Julianna & Viggo On SETH!! Ali Wong @MIDNIGHT!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 15 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 206 total posts 11 posts