That PETE'S DRAGON remake from the director of AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS is looking like it's gonna happen!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
A year ago, we learned that AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS director David Lowery was assigned to script and maybe possibly direct a remake of the family-film classic, PETE'S DRAGON. It's looking more sure than ever that he'll helm the remake, as The Wrap announced today that Lowery is "in negotiations to direct" the update of the 1977 animation/live-action hybrid for Disney. Lowery co-wrote the script with his BODIES SAINTS producer, Toby Halbrooks, which apparently "reinvents the core of the original," and almost definitely won't feature any musical numbers (even though the song "Candle on the Water" scored the original's only Oscar nomination).
Lowery seems like an outside-the-box pick until you remember that his first feature as a director, ST. NICK, featured a young boy and girl in starring roles, proving his ability to handle child actors. That'll prove an asset in updating Disney's tale of a young orphan who moves into a strange town, and has only an occasionally-invisible dragon named Pete as a companion.
Maybe this only feels like a recent trend, but Disney's really plumbing their vaults for recognizable properties these days, and while PETE'S DRAGON doesn't have the cultural cache of SLEEPING BEAUTY or CINDERELLA, it still holds a special place the hearts of a particular generation. Alongside MARY POPPINS and BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS, it was one of the prime examples of successful integration between live-action and animation, in those days before Robert Zemeckis and Roger Williams schooled everyone with their work on WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT. I frequently saw PETE'S DRAGON among family VHS collections (remember those big-ass clamshell cases?) in the early-to-mid-'90s, so I'm fairly sure there's an audience out there nostalgic for this story of a boy and his dragon.
Let's see who Lowery picks as the 21st-century equivalents of Shelley Winters, Red Buttons, and Mickey Rooney (who could still make a totally welcome cameo).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HBO Greenlights New Class Warfare Miniseries From THE WIRE Mastermind David Simon!! -- 55 total posts 19 posts
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 111 total posts 12 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 251 total posts 6 posts
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 361 total posts 5 posts
- Trailer for NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 3...yeah, you're welcome! -- 164 total posts 3 posts
- KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR to get a limited theatrical release in 2015?! -- 284 total posts 3 posts
- Is a New TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Film in the Works? -- 32 total posts 3 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 141 total posts 3 posts
- New Images Invite You INTO THE WOODS! -- 41 total posts 3 posts
- First Poster for THE HATEFUL EIGHT Arrives, Confirming 2015 Release! -- 126 total posts 3 posts