Quentin Tarantino To Stage Live Reading Of Shelved Screenplay THE HATEFUL EIGHT! One Night Only!
Got any plans for April 24th, 2014? Got $200 sitting around waiting to be spent?
Film Independent has just announced that the next selection in its live-read series will be a one-time-only staging of Quentin Tarantino's shelved screenplay THE HATEFUL EIGHT. Tarantino will stage the reading himself and pick the actors. Having read the script, I think you can bank on Christoph Waltz being involved. Samuel L. Jackson would seem probable, too, but he might be preoccupied with THE AVENGERS 2: AGE OF ULTRON. In any event, Film Independent's press release states that the cast will likely remain secret until the night of the performance, so this is all just idle speculation.
As you probably know, Tarantino spiked the script when the first draft leaked unexpectedly last January. Though it's been customary for Tarantino's scripts to get passed around before production, this one wasn't ready for mass consumption just yet. According to Tarantino, he'd only given the script to six people. Some folks have expressed skepticism over QT's motives here, but I believe him; there's one crossed-out chunk of dialogue in the script, and a few other handwritten alterations. Still, it's a great fucking screenplay, a largely one-set suspense play ala Agatha Christie that simmers with all manner of hatred. It's a real pressure cooker, one that would work just as well on the stage as it would on the big screen.
Here's the official synopsis from Film Independent:
The Hateful Eight follows the steadily ratcheting tension that develops after a blizzard diverts a stagecoach from its route, trapping a pitiless and mistrustful group, which includes a competing pair of bounty hunters, a renegade Confederate soldier and a female prisoner in a saloon in the middle of nowhere.
There's was talk that Bruce Dern, Michael Madsen and Tim Roth were favored for roles in the film. Perhaps they'll be involved. Or maybe one of those rascals leaked the script and will never work with Tarantino again! Who knows?
Tickets will go on sale April 9th at 5 PM, but only for members of Film Independent, LACMA Film Club and The New York Times Film Club. If there are any tix left over, they will be made available at 5 PM on April 16th. For more info, hit up Film Independent's website.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 685 total posts 62 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 406 total posts 40 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 43 total posts 26 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 360 total posts 25 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 212 total posts 21 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 360 total posts 13 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 18 total posts 10 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 318 total posts 9 posts