Quentin Tarantino To Stage Live Reading Of Shelved Screenplay THE HATEFUL EIGHT! One Night Only!
Got any plans for April 24th, 2014? Got $200 sitting around waiting to be spent?
Film Independent has just announced that the next selection in its live-read series will be a one-time-only staging of Quentin Tarantino's shelved screenplay THE HATEFUL EIGHT. Tarantino will stage the reading himself and pick the actors. Having read the script, I think you can bank on Christoph Waltz being involved. Samuel L. Jackson would seem probable, too, but he might be preoccupied with THE AVENGERS 2: AGE OF ULTRON. In any event, Film Independent's press release states that the cast will likely remain secret until the night of the performance, so this is all just idle speculation.
As you probably know, Tarantino spiked the script when the first draft leaked unexpectedly last January. Though it's been customary for Tarantino's scripts to get passed around before production, this one wasn't ready for mass consumption just yet. According to Tarantino, he'd only given the script to six people. Some folks have expressed skepticism over QT's motives here, but I believe him; there's one crossed-out chunk of dialogue in the script, and a few other handwritten alterations. Still, it's a great fucking screenplay, a largely one-set suspense play ala Agatha Christie that simmers with all manner of hatred. It's a real pressure cooker, one that would work just as well on the stage as it would on the big screen.
Here's the official synopsis from Film Independent:
The Hateful Eight follows the steadily ratcheting tension that develops after a blizzard diverts a stagecoach from its route, trapping a pitiless and mistrustful group, which includes a competing pair of bounty hunters, a renegade Confederate soldier and a female prisoner in a saloon in the middle of nowhere.
There's was talk that Bruce Dern, Michael Madsen and Tim Roth were favored for roles in the film. Perhaps they'll be involved. Or maybe one of those rascals leaked the script and will never work with Tarantino again! Who knows?
Tickets will go on sale April 9th at 5 PM, but only for members of Film Independent, LACMA Film Club and The New York Times Film Club. If there are any tix left over, they will be made available at 5 PM on April 16th. For more info, hit up Film Independent's website.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 103 total posts 51 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 138 total posts 31 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 69 total posts 17 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 69 total posts 16 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 351 total posts 15 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 248 total posts 11 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 32 total posts 10 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 62 total posts 9 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 276 total posts 8 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 462 total posts 8 posts