John C. Reilly, Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, and Lea Seadoux will either procreate or be turned into animals in THE LOBSTER!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
DOGTOOTH director Yorgos Lanthimos has quietly begun shooting his latest feature, THE LOBSTER, in Ireland, and is still adding cast members. In addition to the previously-cast Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, Ben Whishaw, and Lea Seydoux, John C. Reilly, Michael Smiley (Reverend Green from THE WORLDS END), and Ashley Jensen (EXTRAS) are also onboard the bizarre sci-fi romance.
Check out this logline: "Single people, according to the rules of The City, are arrested and transferred to The Hotel and are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days. If they fail, they are transformed into an animal of their choosing and released into The Woods." Sounds like a clever way to satirize both societal pressures and the ever-expanding online dating scene.
While Farrell's last attempt at surreal romance didn't work out so well, this one sounds much more promising. With that cast and premise, I don't think I'm alone in hoping that this could be in the same realm of reality-bending love stories as ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF A SPOTLESS MIND, ALTERED STATES, or THE FOUNTAIN, and Lanthimos' DOGTOOTH credentials certainly don't hurt its prospects. Hopefully, the film can nail that tricky balancing act between building a ridiculous world while featuring a believable human center at its core.
If you lived in this universe, what animal would you want to turn into if you couldn't get laid?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 111 total posts 111 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 82 total posts 82 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 213 total posts 72 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 69 total posts 69 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 391 total posts 64 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 101 total posts 52 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 193 total posts 35 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 140 total posts 32 posts