John C. Reilly, Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, and Lea Seadoux will either procreate or be turned into animals in THE LOBSTER!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
DOGTOOTH director Yorgos Lanthimos has quietly begun shooting his latest feature, THE LOBSTER, in Ireland, and is still adding cast members. In addition to the previously-cast Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, Ben Whishaw, and Lea Seydoux, John C. Reilly, Michael Smiley (Reverend Green from THE WORLDS END), and Ashley Jensen (EXTRAS) are also onboard the bizarre sci-fi romance.
Check out this logline: "Single people, according to the rules of The City, are arrested and transferred to The Hotel and are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days. If they fail, they are transformed into an animal of their choosing and released into The Woods." Sounds like a clever way to satirize both societal pressures and the ever-expanding online dating scene.
While Farrell's last attempt at surreal romance didn't work out so well, this one sounds much more promising. With that cast and premise, I don't think I'm alone in hoping that this could be in the same realm of reality-bending love stories as ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF A SPOTLESS MIND, ALTERED STATES, or THE FOUNTAIN, and Lanthimos' DOGTOOTH credentials certainly don't hurt its prospects. Hopefully, the film can nail that tricky balancing act between building a ridiculous world while featuring a believable human center at its core.
If you lived in this universe, what animal would you want to turn into if you couldn't get laid?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 307 total posts 242 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 197 total posts 197 posts
- Mike Epps Is Lee Daniels's Richard Pryor! -- 150 total posts 89 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 441 total posts 85 posts
- Copernicus interviews Andy Weir, author of THE MARTIAN -- Ridley Scott's next film! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 277 total posts 48 posts
- Harry Potter Gets Horny!! No, Really!! See, He Has HORNS!! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- BIG HERO 6 Coming To Disney Infinity 2.0!! And STAR WARS!? -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- A New Poster For Robert Downey Jr’s THE JUDGE (It Has A Great Cast)!! -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- Fox To Remake LAURA With A Screenplay By James Ellroy! -- 55 total posts 34 posts