COMMUNITY: THE MOVIE directed by Justin Lin??!!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
That whole "six seasons and a movie" thing seemed like a joke when Abed first blurted it out (in reference to NBC's ill-fated THE CAPE) on COMMUNITY a few years back, but more and more, it looks like it may actually happen. They're on Season 5 now, and Sony is ready to shop the show around to Hulu or another outlet if NBC decides not to renew them for Season 6. Even more reassuring: this TV GUIDE article that purports rumors that if the movie gets off the ground, Justin Lin, director of three Season 1 episodes (including the legendary original "paintball episode", "Modern Warfare") is being considered to direct. If that BOURNE sequel he's set to do gets in the way? They'll go with one of the other big names who've ventured to Greendale thus far, including Joe and Anthony Russo (CAP 2), Jay Chandrasekhar (SUPER TROOPERS), or Seth Gordon (KING OF KONG, HORRIBLE BOSSES).
Obviously, it's not a guarantee that a COMMUNITY film will ever be greenlit, even with Dan Harmon's insistence that he'll, if necessary, "make it out of clay and duct tape in (his) basement." Having said that, it was near-unthinkable, back when COMMUNITY was seemingly permanently "on the bubble" due to middling ratings, that it'd get to five seasons, but here we are. There's a palpable love for COMMUNITY out there, including among Hollywood talent. People who have plenty better to do, like Brie Larson, Jack Black, Nathan Fillion, and even Paul Williams have popped up on the show, gleefully filling out the weird Greendale universe Dan Harmon has lovingly created. And, I mean, was there seriously more of a demand for a cinematic adaptation of ENTOURAGE than for COMMUNITY: THE MOVIE?! (I'm asking seriously)
As someone who showed his pals "Modern Warfare" as an example of how good COMMUNITY could get back in 2010, I directly credit Justin Lin for that episode's creative success, and would go gaga if he got back in the COMMUNITY game for another half-hour, let alone a feature film. Even if they go with the Russo Brothers (who, let's face it, will probably have their plate full with a certain super-serumed Brooklynite), Chandrasekhar, or Gordon, it'd be awesome for them to get someone savvy on how to make a successful, memorable big-screen comedy. Granted, this is all speculation, and talks probably won't even begin until Season 6 is over and done with, but the idea that these dudes are even on the table should be plenty for fans to get excited for.
Who would all you Abeds out there want to see directing a big-screen COMMUNITY movie?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Rumor Has It Another Character Is Returning To STAR WARS... -- 110 total posts 110 posts
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 230 total posts 102 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 176 total posts 67 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 40 total posts 40 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 202 total posts 37 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 177 total posts 18 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 120 total posts 10 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 31 total posts 8 posts
- Creepy Dolls and Satanic Cults! Full ANNABELLE Trailer is Here! -- 104 total posts 7 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 392 total posts 6 posts