Ti West is going IN A VALLEY OF VIOLENCE with John Travolta and Ethan Hawke!! UPDATED (17:00) WITH QUOTE FROM WEST!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
UPDATED (17:00): The below tweet from West himself corrects THR's story claiming that IN A VALLEY OF VIOLENCE is a "Western horror film." Couldn't possibly be a more succinct way to nip that rumor in the bud. I guess we can expect a straight western then? Why am I even more excited now?
It's not a horror movie.— Ti West (@Ti_West) March 18, 2014
ORIGINAL STORY BELOW:
After HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, THE INNKEEPERS, and the upcoming THE SACRAMENT, Ti West has built a strong reputation for making relatively small, but airtight and super-memorable horror-ish flicks. Now, according to THR, West is going to be working with his biggest canvas to date on his next picture, IN A VALLEY OF VIOLENCE. The film, which West is lined up to write and direct, is "described as a Western horror film set in the 1890's." Most major of all is his two leading men: John Travolta and Ethan Hawke are in talks to serve as the movie's stars.
His three previous features are all radically different from one another (you could argue that a supernatural element connects HOUSE OF THE DEVIL and THE INNKEEPERS, but that's where the similarities end), so it gives me no pause that I would never have pictured West doing a project like this at this point in his career. The horror-western is one of those things that seems rife with promise, until you think about how rarely they truly work as either a horror movie or a western (NEAR DARK and RAVENOUS barely count…my ears are open for more examples).
Although people like Tom Noonan, Ann Magnuson, and Kelly McGillis have popped up in his work (not to mention buddies A.J. Bowen and Joe Swanberg), West has never worked with actors with the level of stature of Hawke and Travolta. Hawke, aside from his recent turns in low-budget horror flicks like SINISTER and THE PURGE, can be one hell of an actor when he wants to be. Travolta doesn't do genre-y flicks too often, and most of his efforts are either legendarily great (CARRIE, BLOW OUT) or terrible (BATTLEFIELD EARTH). He, like Hawke, can do great work in the right role (check out his surprisingly memorable supporting role in SAVAGES), and I'm hoping West gives them both juicy roles worthy of his biggest-name cast members to date.
Any new Ti West flick is something to get excited about, but with its setting and that cast, IN A VALLEY OF VIOLENCE could be, on paper, his most intriguing project to date.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Rumor Has It Another Character Is Returning To STAR WARS... -- 293 total posts 293 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 248 total posts 139 posts
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 258 total posts 130 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 208 total posts 43 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for AMITYVILLE: THE AWAKENING! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 135 total posts 25 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 179 total posts 20 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 36 total posts 13 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 399 total posts 13 posts