Annette Kellerman From SXSW 2014: LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND!!
I'm a casual fan of electronic music. I like it, I just don't really follow any particular group. I enjoy a good mash up, and I admit to dancing like an idiot to rave music at events from time to time. I have heard of Swedish House Mafia, but couldn't name you one song of theirs.
Fortunately, I was lucky enough to score a preview of the film before it screened at this year's SXSW Film Festival. So basically, I went into the film as a stranger to the Swedish trio and ended up a fan by the end.
LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND is a documentary about the success and demise of the incredibly popular electronic group Swedish House Mafia. Though the boys of the group started out with the best of intentions ruling the electro music empire, 10 years into their careers finds the artists choosing a different life over the fast and furious lifestyle on the road as one of the most popular dance acts around the globe.
The film chronicles the genesis of the group, incorporating simple animation and old video footage of the youngsters as they were just starting out playing parties. The film culminates with Swedish House Mafia as they embark on their final "One Last Tour" trekking theworld and filling arenas to share their music one last time. You see, even though the group has attained success beyond their wildest imagination, the friendships that the crew forged at the beginning are inevitably waning, and sadly, disbanding on a high note seems to be the best course of action for the fellas.
Director Christian Larson amazingly contrasts vivid concert footage with images of the fellas in their natural habitat at home with kiddos and significant others. The story aptly juxtaposes the manic concert experience with the relatively mundane day to day goings on in the guys' lives, illustrating the toll their hectic schedule has taken on their friendship.
Though the film is a bit redundant with a running time that is on the long side, I really had a fun time with LEAVE THE WORLDBEHIND. The gents of Swedish House Mafia are very likable and the thumping concert footage keeps the film fully afloat. If you are already a fan of the supergroup this film is likely already on your radar. If you are curious and have never experienced the splendor of these former electronic music gods, you should check out LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND for sure. The documentary is screening at The SXSW Film Festival 3/12 at 6:00pm at The Paramount Theater.
Until next time,
Aka "Annette Kellerman"
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 441 total posts 51 posts
- KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR to get a limited theatrical release in 2015?! -- 146 total posts 42 posts
- Who has been offered the directing gig on Legendary's SKULL ISLAND!?! -- 63 total posts 39 posts
- Eva Green in Talks for Tim Burton's MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN! -- 85 total posts 21 posts
- George R.R. Martin Scales Back HBO Activity To Focus On Completing WINDS OF WINTER!! -- 62 total posts 16 posts
- A New Tease For DOCTOR WHO Season / Series 8!! -- 116 total posts 10 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 155 total posts 10 posts
- A Nifty Video Tour Of The Warner Bros Museum Commemorates BATMAN’s 75th Anniversary!! -- 87 total posts 10 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 625 total posts 9 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 610 total posts 8 posts