Rooney Mara is gonna nuzzle up to Joe Wright's PAN as Tiger Lily!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
I guess Tiger Lily's losing the feather and loincloth this time around.
The American Lisbeth Salander, Rooney Mara, is going to inhabit the character for Joe Wright's PAN, according to The Wrap. She will ostensibly prove to be the as-yet-uncast Peter's love interest in this origin story, which starts with Pan as a young orphan in London.
The article says that "Wright is planning to create a world that (is) very international and multi-racial," but they just got a white girl to play Tiger Lily. I guess it never made total sense that a Neverland princess (and her people in general) would seem so much like the indigenous tribes of the Americas. Maybe there was some intended correlation between the "New World" and the wild, uncharted Neverland (even if the U.S. was almost 150 years old at the time J.M. Barrie published his original story). Either way, the one character in Pan I traditionally think of as being not-white has just been cast with a caucasian from Westchester. I guess when they say "multi-racial" they just mean the Lost Boys…but didn't they already do that already in HOOK?
I can lament the fact that they probably didn't even bother looking at Native American actresses for the part, but I'm hoping it's just due to the direction they're going with the role. If not, and Mara is indeed playing a character intended to seem even vaguely Native American, then, simply put, they suuuuck for not finding a racially-appropriate actress. Especially if they're going around bragging about how "international and multi-racial" the movie's going to be.
Whatever. Mara's talented. I'm sure she'll bring a strong, tough-girl presence to the part. Now let's see if they give her any lines….
PAN believes on July 17th, 2015
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 155 total posts 55 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 162 total posts 25 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 110 total posts 19 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 75 total posts 19 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 420 total posts 9 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 203 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 34 total posts 6 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 65 total posts 5 posts
- Timur Bekmambetov Finds His Ben-Hur For, Well, BEN-HUR!! -- 294 total posts 4 posts