Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Jesus, I feel like they've been trying to get FLETCH WON off the ground since before I hit puberty. After Kevin Smith tried for years to get the film off the ground with Jason Lee in the lead, and later, Ben Affleck and Zach Braff, I kind of thought that Gregory Mcdonald's follow-up to FLETCH would never receive the big-screen treatment. The character from the books has been all but usurped by Chevy Chase's incarnation of the role in terms of pop culture popularity, so going back to the well and making a more faithful adaptation of the FLETCH series seemed less and less likely.
Well, there seems to still be some interest in this long-gestating project, and it seems they have a new Fletch to build their reboot around. Last night, The Hollywood Reporter announced that HORRIBLE BOSSES/WE'RE THE MILLERS' SNL alum Jason Sudeikis will be playing a younger version of the crack reporter in FLETCH WON. He signed on based on a script by SOUTH PARK/TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE crewmember David List, which presumably is closer to Mcdonald's original than Chevy and Michael Ritchie's FLETCH (or, certainly, FLETCH LIVES).
While I'll forever lament Smith's failure to get the film going with Jason Lee as Irwin Fletcher, Sudeikis seems like a solid choice. With his easygoing, lackadaisical attitude mixed with a habit of lying through a smile, this isn't the first time he's been compared to Chase, and he should slip into his basketball shoes just fine.
No word on who'll be directing FLETCH WON yet, but the producers are "hoping to exude a BEVERLY HILLS COP or MIDNIGHT RUN vibe." Which I hope means that they're planning to bring Harold Faltermeyer back.
What do you guys think? Can Sudeikis pull off FLETCH in a way that makes us forget Chase's mid-'80s interpretation, or is his smarmy charm wearing thin?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- You're going to have to wait until 2017 to fly again with Hiccup and Toothless in HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 3! -- 38 total posts 11 posts
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 228 total posts 10 posts
- WIRE Reunion!! Clarke Peters Joins Winona Ryder, James Belushi, Daniel Stern, Alfred Molina, Catherine Keener And Oscar Isaac For David Simon’s HBO Class-Warfare Miniseries SHOW ME A HERO!! -- 19 total posts 8 posts
- Guillermo del Toro and Legendary Teaming Up with YouTube for Halloween Short Films Project! -- 38 total posts 7 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 164 total posts 5 posts
- Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling to bust some heads as Shane Black's NICE GUYS in July 2016! -- 42 total posts 5 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 470 total posts 4 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 81 total posts 4 posts
-- 25 total posts 3 posts
- New Red-Band Trailer For ABCs OF DEATH 2 Ain't Fucking Around! -- 36 total posts 2 posts