First clip from Jon Favreau's CHEF, premiering at SXSW! Favs vs. Twitter!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Ahead of its SXSW premiere later tonight, the first footage from Jon Favreau's CHEF has premiered online. As we watch Favreau's titular character dealing with something the real-life Favreau has a formidable amount of experience with, dealing with online commentators, one thing is immediately apparent (and perhaps expected): this is more like his first feature, MADE (and, by extension, his writing breakthrough, SWINGERS) than anything he's directed since. The overlapping, seemingly improv-heavy dialogue, the low-key setting, and the character's petty, aggressive insecurity seem to indicate that Favreau has legitimately come through on his promise to return to his "indie" roots, and has made a movie as far from ELF, COWBOYS & ALIENS, or IRON MAN as you could possibly get (though I'm excited to see his Tony Stark pop up in this flick, especially after he enthusiastically designed a poster for it). After this, he jumps back in the tentpole game with THE JUNGLE BOOK (which just signed its first actor), so let's enjoy this brief return to human-centric productions while it lasts.
One super-cool aspect of this clip is watching Favs in a lead role again. Sure he's awesome in bit parts like Happy Hogan or his WOLF OF WALL STREET cameo (which got an audible response at BNAT), but he hasn't been front and center since the surreal, obscure THE BIG EMPTY, and I'm excited to see him hold down a movie again. Not like the supporting cast he rounded up is anything to scoff at: aside from Downey, John Leguizamo, and Bobby Cannavale (who you can see below), the flick also features Scarlett Johansson, Dustin Hoffman, Sofia Vergara, and Oliver Platt.
There have already been emphatically positive tweets about the movie (like these two from Edgar Wright and Agent Coulson himself, Clark Gregg), and I'd expect a lot more after the film officially premieres tonight in Austin. Things are lookin' up for Favreau's pared-down indie flick.
CHEF starts cookin' on May 9th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 359 total posts 39 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 459 total posts 8 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 670 total posts 5 posts
- SDCC '14: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 flying into our galaxy in July 2017! -- 86 total posts 5 posts
- Full banner and character posters from AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! -- 192 total posts 3 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Luc Besson’s LUCY, MONTY PYTHON LIVE (MOSTLY), Tomorrow’s LEFTOVERS And The Latest STAR WARS, DC, MARVEL, LOUIE, 24, HBO & GAME OF THRONES News!! Plus The Return Of AICN’s Own Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 268 total posts 3 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint checks out Marvel's Ant-Man panel and sees a nifty teaser sequence! -- 56 total posts 2 posts
- Edgar Wright to direct GRASSHOPPER JUNGLE, described as "STAND BY ME meets ATTACK THE BLOCK"!! -- 27 total posts 2 posts
- SDCC '14: Gareth Edwards confirmed to direct GODZILLA 2! Also, a few familiar monsters we should expect! -- 135 total posts 2 posts
- SDCC '14: Who are Corey Stoll and Evangeline Lilly playing in ANT-MAN?! -- 80 total posts 1 post