Idris Elba to voice a great, big, bloody Bengal tiger by the name of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
That Jon Favreau JUNGLE BOOK adaptation has just got its first cast member. Deadline broke the news that everyone's favorite PROMETHEUS-flyin', Jaeger-lovin' Asgardian, Idris Elba, will be providing the voice of Shere Khan, the Bengal tiger who hates humans, but craves that sweet Mowgli flesh all the same.
Elba, alongside having a certain effect on women, has that deep, rich voice (which he used to great effect in both THORs) that should prove an asset when voicing this villainous, man-eating tiger. An affected British voice would be a great contrast to Khan's more bloodthirsty, vicious side, and I can see Elba effortlessly alternating between both moods (remember those outbursts in PACIFIC RIM?). He's an almost-A-lister, so you get an idea of the pedigree of voice actor they're looking for to fill out the rest of the animal cast. Funny how the villain of the film is the first role they've cast; you ask me, I'd bet Favreau knew he wanted Elba for Shere Khan before he even signed the dotted line…
I don't know how that Ron Howard JUNGLE BOOK is doing, but considering this one has a release date AND a major cast member already, that one is going to be playing catch-up from here on out, if it happens at all. I really don't know if there's room for two JUNGLE BOOKS in this dojo, but who knows. Maybe this'll be a mutually beneficial DEEP IMPACT/ARMAGEDDON situation, or Favs version will be the OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN to Howard's WHITE HOUSE DOWN (in terms of B.O.).
Now…who else hopes that Favs himself ends up voicing Baloo?
Look for THE JUNGLE BOOK on October 9th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 290 total posts 290 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 172 total posts 172 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 361 total posts 134 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 119 total posts 119 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 118 total posts 118 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 290 total posts 106 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 123 total posts 70 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 50 total posts 50 posts