Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Remember UNTITLED, that Adam Goldberg/Marley Shelton flick where Goldberg was an avant-garde artist obsessed with weird sounds? Imagine that, but in the middle of the woods, and with Goldberg wearing a huge, fake head on his shoulders the whole time.
In FRANK, Michael Fassbender plays an experimental musician who, with his band, conjures up sonic concoctions using animal calls, human screams, and even the noise of drug consumption, all while wearing a giant papier-mache mask. When he and his buddies get selected to play at SXSW, Frank's gotta pull his shit together so that when he's on stage, he comes off as more of a knowing Deadmau5 figure, rather than a confounding Shia LaBeouf type.
Scoot McNairy, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Domhnall Gleeson are also on board, but the film feels more low-key than you'd expect with that cast. It doesn't seem to linger too much on the high comedy of Frank's giant head, and instead hints that his psychological troubles are more on the forefront of this plot than any fish-out-of-water nonsense.
I love movies about devoted weirdos making art, especially when one of them feels inclined to describe the expressions on his face because of the giant paper head covering them at all times. Fassbender is one of those actors with the range to kill it in a multitude of roles (no comment on 12 YEARS A SLAVE), and I'm excited to see him let loose and have fun with this role, even if we can't see his handsome-ass punim. The film (and his performance) have been getting strong reviews on the festival circuit, so this one may be worth keeping track of, even though it doesn't currenlty have a U.S. release date (though I'd expect that to change fairly soon).
What's the word? Does this seem funny, or overly quirked-out?
FRANK begins his composition in the U.K on May 9th; no word on when said music will make its way across the pond like The Beatles before it.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 524 total posts 138 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 306 total posts 128 posts
- For your viewing pleasure, a 5-minute clip of Star Lord and his GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 225 total posts 80 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 78 total posts 78 posts
- Could This Be The (Barebones) Plot Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII?! SPOILERS! -- 1494 total posts 51 posts
Longest. Marathon. Ever.
FXX To Air All 25 Years Of THE SIMPSONS Over 12 Days Starting Aug. 21!! -- 82 total posts 49 posts
Only Seven Episodes
Of LOUIE Next Year!! -- 57 total posts 47 posts
- A Preview Of SQUICKERWONKERS!! A New Book From LOST’s Evangeline Lilly - She's Bringing It To Comic Con This Week!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- Look Upon JURASSIC WORLD’s Comic Con Exclusive Poster!! -- 189 total posts 44 posts
- Universal Taps Alex Kurtzman And Chris Morgan To Reboot The Studio's Classic Monsters! -- 734 total posts 43 posts