Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Remember UNTITLED, that Adam Goldberg/Marley Shelton flick where Goldberg was an avant-garde artist obsessed with weird sounds? Imagine that, but in the middle of the woods, and with Goldberg wearing a huge, fake head on his shoulders the whole time.
In FRANK, Michael Fassbender plays an experimental musician who, with his band, conjures up sonic concoctions using animal calls, human screams, and even the noise of drug consumption, all while wearing a giant papier-mache mask. When he and his buddies get selected to play at SXSW, Frank's gotta pull his shit together so that when he's on stage, he comes off as more of a knowing Deadmau5 figure, rather than a confounding Shia LaBeouf type.
Scoot McNairy, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Domhnall Gleeson are also on board, but the film feels more low-key than you'd expect with that cast. It doesn't seem to linger too much on the high comedy of Frank's giant head, and instead hints that his psychological troubles are more on the forefront of this plot than any fish-out-of-water nonsense.
I love movies about devoted weirdos making art, especially when one of them feels inclined to describe the expressions on his face because of the giant paper head covering them at all times. Fassbender is one of those actors with the range to kill it in a multitude of roles (no comment on 12 YEARS A SLAVE), and I'm excited to see him let loose and have fun with this role, even if we can't see his handsome-ass punim. The film (and his performance) have been getting strong reviews on the festival circuit, so this one may be worth keeping track of, even though it doesn't currenlty have a U.S. release date (though I'd expect that to change fairly soon).
What's the word? Does this seem funny, or overly quirked-out?
FRANK begins his composition in the U.K on May 9th; no word on when said music will make its way across the pond like The Beatles before it.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 191 total posts 191 posts
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 222 total posts 170 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 214 total posts 107 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 102 total posts 102 posts
- Jeff Bridges’ Long Delayed SEVENTH SON Gets A Trailer, A Poster, And February!! -- 76 total posts 76 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 109 total posts 56 posts
- Here’s BBC’s Synopsis Of DOCTOR WHO S08E03: “Robots of Sherwood’ !! -- 51 total posts 51 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 50 total posts 50 posts