Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Remember UNTITLED, that Adam Goldberg/Marley Shelton flick where Goldberg was an avant-garde artist obsessed with weird sounds? Imagine that, but in the middle of the woods, and with Goldberg wearing a huge, fake head on his shoulders the whole time.
In FRANK, Michael Fassbender plays an experimental musician who, with his band, conjures up sonic concoctions using animal calls, human screams, and even the noise of drug consumption, all while wearing a giant papier-mache mask. When he and his buddies get selected to play at SXSW, Frank's gotta pull his shit together so that when he's on stage, he comes off as more of a knowing Deadmau5 figure, rather than a confounding Shia LaBeouf type.
Scoot McNairy, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Domhnall Gleeson are also on board, but the film feels more low-key than you'd expect with that cast. It doesn't seem to linger too much on the high comedy of Frank's giant head, and instead hints that his psychological troubles are more on the forefront of this plot than any fish-out-of-water nonsense.
I love movies about devoted weirdos making art, especially when one of them feels inclined to describe the expressions on his face because of the giant paper head covering them at all times. Fassbender is one of those actors with the range to kill it in a multitude of roles (no comment on 12 YEARS A SLAVE), and I'm excited to see him let loose and have fun with this role, even if we can't see his handsome-ass punim. The film (and his performance) have been getting strong reviews on the festival circuit, so this one may be worth keeping track of, even though it doesn't currenlty have a U.S. release date (though I'd expect that to change fairly soon).
What's the word? Does this seem funny, or overly quirked-out?
FRANK begins his composition in the U.K on May 9th; no word on when said music will make its way across the pond like The Beatles before it.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 468 total posts 148 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 594 total posts 144 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 116 total posts 116 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 758 total posts 93 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 73 total posts 73 posts
- A Nifty Video Tour Of The Warner Bros Museum Commemorates BATMAN’s 75th Anniversary!! -- 61 total posts 61 posts
- A New Tease For DOCTOR WHO Season / Series 8!! -- 43 total posts 43 posts
- Our First Katniss-centric Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1!! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- The Girls Come Out To Play In Red-Band Comic Con Trailer For SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint runs down the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON footage!!! -- 172 total posts 30 posts