Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Remember UNTITLED, that Adam Goldberg/Marley Shelton flick where Goldberg was an avant-garde artist obsessed with weird sounds? Imagine that, but in the middle of the woods, and with Goldberg wearing a huge, fake head on his shoulders the whole time.
In FRANK, Michael Fassbender plays an experimental musician who, with his band, conjures up sonic concoctions using animal calls, human screams, and even the noise of drug consumption, all while wearing a giant papier-mache mask. When he and his buddies get selected to play at SXSW, Frank's gotta pull his shit together so that when he's on stage, he comes off as more of a knowing Deadmau5 figure, rather than a confounding Shia LaBeouf type.
Scoot McNairy, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Domhnall Gleeson are also on board, but the film feels more low-key than you'd expect with that cast. It doesn't seem to linger too much on the high comedy of Frank's giant head, and instead hints that his psychological troubles are more on the forefront of this plot than any fish-out-of-water nonsense.
I love movies about devoted weirdos making art, especially when one of them feels inclined to describe the expressions on his face because of the giant paper head covering them at all times. Fassbender is one of those actors with the range to kill it in a multitude of roles (no comment on 12 YEARS A SLAVE), and I'm excited to see him let loose and have fun with this role, even if we can't see his handsome-ass punim. The film (and his performance) have been getting strong reviews on the festival circuit, so this one may be worth keeping track of, even though it doesn't currenlty have a U.S. release date (though I'd expect that to change fairly soon).
What's the word? Does this seem funny, or overly quirked-out?
FRANK begins his composition in the U.K on May 9th; no word on when said music will make its way across the pond like The Beatles before it.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 177 total posts 173 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 124 total posts 124 posts
- See Luke Evans' Kinect Bats In This New DRACULA UNTOLD Trailer!! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- This New Trailer For MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Is Looking Promising!! -- 81 total posts 81 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 747 total posts 33 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts