Producer of THE LEGO MOVIE will now attempt to make a successful narrative feature-film out of MINECRAFT!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Someone is trying leak the fact that we're working with Warner Brothers on a potential Minecraft Movie. I wanted to be the leak!— Markus Persson (@notch) February 27, 2014
That tweet from MINECRAFT publisher Markus Persson barely preceded a Deadline post announcing that LEGO MOVIE producer Roy Lee was developing MINECRAFT into a feature film via his Vertigo Entertainment production company. Warner Bros. is obviously looking at THE LEGO MOVIE as a template for how to handle this property, which also involves top-to-bottom block-building in a user-dominated atmosphere (key difference being, of course, that it's all in the digital realm).
There is no writer onboard yet, and no word as to what the tone (let alone the story) will be, but MINECRAFT is both heinously popular (over 100 million users to date) and completely fluid in terms of content, so, like THE LEGO MOVIE, the sky's the limit on what they can do. Obviously, Lee's involvement with THE LEGO MOVIE doesn't guarantee this film will approximate that flick's level of quality, but if there ever was a precedent for this type of movie done right, that would be it, so let's hope for the best.
Any MINECRAFTers out there intrigued by the idea of a cinematic adaptation, or is this another example of creativity-hampered execs looking for the next hot thing to plunder for ducats?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 262 total posts 262 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 152 total posts 152 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 358 total posts 131 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 117 total posts 117 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 287 total posts 103 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 118 total posts 65 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 46 total posts 46 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 39 total posts 39 posts