Nite Owl II to roll with ANT-MAN!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
First, Tauriel and Jack Colton jump onboard ANT-MAN, now they have Dan Dreiberg as well. Deadline first scooped the news that Patrick Wilson is the latest actor to sign onto Edgar Wright's Phase Three kickoff, in an as-yet-undisclosed role. This makes him the fifth major cast member (aside from Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, and Michael Pena) to be hired, and most likely, none of them will be seen in any prior Marvel movies until this one (except mayyyybe Douglas' Hank Pym). So, this probably ain't gonna be CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, let alone IRON MAN 2, in terms of setting up future Marvel flicks. Which, to me, is a good thing; this flick is feeling more like a stand-alone Marvel-verse installment than the lead-up to the rest of Phase Three, and I couldn't be happier that Wright is getting to play in this sandbox without too much restriction by Feige and the brass (agan, as it would seem).
Aside from Wilson, we also don't know Pena's role yet, so one or both of them must be playing the villain, right? If so, I'm totally onboard. Both have turned in some thoroughly memorable heavy roles in the past few years, Pena in 30 MINUTES OR LESS, and Wilson in THE A-TEAM, so I'm all for the idea of one of them (or both) facing Rudd's ANT-MAN head on.
Wilson has shown a terrific sense of humor in some of his better roles, so if that's what the role calls for he'll do great, but even if the part is that of a stone-cold baddie, I'm still intrigued to see what he brings to the table. He's got the leading-man good looks of both Rudd and Douglas, but I have to assume his character will be that of the heavy, or at least, more of a quirky supporting player, so I don't think Wright hired him for his "blandness" the way some directors have in the past. I hope that whoever he's playing is more off-the-wall and eccentric than we could even predict right now; I'd love to see Wilson (and Pena, for that matter) get a chance to really chew the scenery the way Hiddleston, Weaving, or Bridges did in the Phase One flicks.
Hell of a cast Wright is putting together on this one, and Wilson is yet another name he's landed that manages to increase my excitement for this oddball Marvel project.
ANT-MAN makes its six-legged way into theaters on July 17th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 230 total posts 205 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 185 total posts 141 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 205 total posts 62 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 559 total posts 36 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 114 total posts 24 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 180 total posts 23 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 356 total posts 9 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 29 total posts 9 posts