Nite Owl II to roll with ANT-MAN!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
First, Tauriel and Jack Colton jump onboard ANT-MAN, now they have Dan Dreiberg as well. Deadline first scooped the news that Patrick Wilson is the latest actor to sign onto Edgar Wright's Phase Three kickoff, in an as-yet-undisclosed role. This makes him the fifth major cast member (aside from Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, and Michael Pena) to be hired, and most likely, none of them will be seen in any prior Marvel movies until this one (except mayyyybe Douglas' Hank Pym). So, this probably ain't gonna be CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, let alone IRON MAN 2, in terms of setting up future Marvel flicks. Which, to me, is a good thing; this flick is feeling more like a stand-alone Marvel-verse installment than the lead-up to the rest of Phase Three, and I couldn't be happier that Wright is getting to play in this sandbox without too much restriction by Feige and the brass (agan, as it would seem).
Aside from Wilson, we also don't know Pena's role yet, so one or both of them must be playing the villain, right? If so, I'm totally onboard. Both have turned in some thoroughly memorable heavy roles in the past few years, Pena in 30 MINUTES OR LESS, and Wilson in THE A-TEAM, so I'm all for the idea of one of them (or both) facing Rudd's ANT-MAN head on.
Wilson has shown a terrific sense of humor in some of his better roles, so if that's what the role calls for he'll do great, but even if the part is that of a stone-cold baddie, I'm still intrigued to see what he brings to the table. He's got the leading-man good looks of both Rudd and Douglas, but I have to assume his character will be that of the heavy, or at least, more of a quirky supporting player, so I don't think Wright hired him for his "blandness" the way some directors have in the past. I hope that whoever he's playing is more off-the-wall and eccentric than we could even predict right now; I'd love to see Wilson (and Pena, for that matter) get a chance to really chew the scenery the way Hiddleston, Weaving, or Bridges did in the Phase One flicks.
Hell of a cast Wright is putting together on this one, and Wilson is yet another name he's landed that manages to increase my excitement for this oddball Marvel project.
ANT-MAN makes its six-legged way into theaters on July 17th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 132 total posts 53 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 272 total posts 16 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 34 total posts 14 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 261 total posts 13 posts
- A thief will elude capture using interstellar teleportation in Doug Liman's RAILHEAD! -- 20 total posts 10 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 138 total posts 10 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 118 total posts 7 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 29 total posts 7 posts
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's THE NEST is now set to take on Luke Skywalker and friends in December 2015! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- Jessica Chastain to play Marilyn Monroe for Andrew Dominik in BLONDE! -- 43 total posts 6 posts