Nite Owl II to roll with ANT-MAN!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
First, Tauriel and Jack Colton jump onboard ANT-MAN, now they have Dan Dreiberg as well. Deadline first scooped the news that Patrick Wilson is the latest actor to sign onto Edgar Wright's Phase Three kickoff, in an as-yet-undisclosed role. This makes him the fifth major cast member (aside from Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, and Michael Pena) to be hired, and most likely, none of them will be seen in any prior Marvel movies until this one (except mayyyybe Douglas' Hank Pym). So, this probably ain't gonna be CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, let alone IRON MAN 2, in terms of setting up future Marvel flicks. Which, to me, is a good thing; this flick is feeling more like a stand-alone Marvel-verse installment than the lead-up to the rest of Phase Three, and I couldn't be happier that Wright is getting to play in this sandbox without too much restriction by Feige and the brass (agan, as it would seem).
Aside from Wilson, we also don't know Pena's role yet, so one or both of them must be playing the villain, right? If so, I'm totally onboard. Both have turned in some thoroughly memorable heavy roles in the past few years, Pena in 30 MINUTES OR LESS, and Wilson in THE A-TEAM, so I'm all for the idea of one of them (or both) facing Rudd's ANT-MAN head on.
Wilson has shown a terrific sense of humor in some of his better roles, so if that's what the role calls for he'll do great, but even if the part is that of a stone-cold baddie, I'm still intrigued to see what he brings to the table. He's got the leading-man good looks of both Rudd and Douglas, but I have to assume his character will be that of the heavy, or at least, more of a quirky supporting player, so I don't think Wright hired him for his "blandness" the way some directors have in the past. I hope that whoever he's playing is more off-the-wall and eccentric than we could even predict right now; I'd love to see Wilson (and Pena, for that matter) get a chance to really chew the scenery the way Hiddleston, Weaving, or Bridges did in the Phase One flicks.
Hell of a cast Wright is putting together on this one, and Wilson is yet another name he's landed that manages to increase my excitement for this oddball Marvel project.
ANT-MAN makes its six-legged way into theaters on July 17th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 178 total posts 50 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 127 total posts 18 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 175 total posts 10 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 118 total posts 8 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 163 total posts 4 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- AICN Tabletop: Abstruse Reports On GenCon 2014! -- 14 total posts 2 posts
- Creepy Dolls and Satanic Cults! Full ANNABELLE Trailer is Here! -- 99 total posts 2 posts
- BIG BROTHER Eviction Nine!! RECTIFY & ROOKIE BLUE Finales!! New GARFUNKLE, JESUS, NAKED, QUEST, WORST, MARRIED, MYTHBUSTERS, RUSH, RECTIFY, DOOMSDAY, DEFIANCE, SWEDEN, SATISFACTION, ENGELS, GAME, BOO BOO, BAD, BIBLE!! Bunnymen On LETTERMAN!! Rehearsals On CONAN!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 2 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 163 total posts 2 posts