Nite Owl II to roll with ANT-MAN!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
First, Tauriel and Jack Colton jump onboard ANT-MAN, now they have Dan Dreiberg as well. Deadline first scooped the news that Patrick Wilson is the latest actor to sign onto Edgar Wright's Phase Three kickoff, in an as-yet-undisclosed role. This makes him the fifth major cast member (aside from Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, and Michael Pena) to be hired, and most likely, none of them will be seen in any prior Marvel movies until this one (except mayyyybe Douglas' Hank Pym). So, this probably ain't gonna be CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, let alone IRON MAN 2, in terms of setting up future Marvel flicks. Which, to me, is a good thing; this flick is feeling more like a stand-alone Marvel-verse installment than the lead-up to the rest of Phase Three, and I couldn't be happier that Wright is getting to play in this sandbox without too much restriction by Feige and the brass (agan, as it would seem).
Aside from Wilson, we also don't know Pena's role yet, so one or both of them must be playing the villain, right? If so, I'm totally onboard. Both have turned in some thoroughly memorable heavy roles in the past few years, Pena in 30 MINUTES OR LESS, and Wilson in THE A-TEAM, so I'm all for the idea of one of them (or both) facing Rudd's ANT-MAN head on.
Wilson has shown a terrific sense of humor in some of his better roles, so if that's what the role calls for he'll do great, but even if the part is that of a stone-cold baddie, I'm still intrigued to see what he brings to the table. He's got the leading-man good looks of both Rudd and Douglas, but I have to assume his character will be that of the heavy, or at least, more of a quirky supporting player, so I don't think Wright hired him for his "blandness" the way some directors have in the past. I hope that whoever he's playing is more off-the-wall and eccentric than we could even predict right now; I'd love to see Wilson (and Pena, for that matter) get a chance to really chew the scenery the way Hiddleston, Weaving, or Bridges did in the Phase One flicks.
Hell of a cast Wright is putting together on this one, and Wilson is yet another name he's landed that manages to increase my excitement for this oddball Marvel project.
ANT-MAN makes its six-legged way into theaters on July 17th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 140 total posts 136 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 726 total posts 12 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Capone talks love among the ages with LOVE IS STRANGE director & co-writer Ira Sachs!!! -- 8 total posts 8 posts