Nite Owl II to roll with ANT-MAN!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
First, Tauriel and Jack Colton jump onboard ANT-MAN, now they have Dan Dreiberg as well. Deadline first scooped the news that Patrick Wilson is the latest actor to sign onto Edgar Wright's Phase Three kickoff, in an as-yet-undisclosed role. This makes him the fifth major cast member (aside from Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, and Michael Pena) to be hired, and most likely, none of them will be seen in any prior Marvel movies until this one (except mayyyybe Douglas' Hank Pym). So, this probably ain't gonna be CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, let alone IRON MAN 2, in terms of setting up future Marvel flicks. Which, to me, is a good thing; this flick is feeling more like a stand-alone Marvel-verse installment than the lead-up to the rest of Phase Three, and I couldn't be happier that Wright is getting to play in this sandbox without too much restriction by Feige and the brass (agan, as it would seem).
Aside from Wilson, we also don't know Pena's role yet, so one or both of them must be playing the villain, right? If so, I'm totally onboard. Both have turned in some thoroughly memorable heavy roles in the past few years, Pena in 30 MINUTES OR LESS, and Wilson in THE A-TEAM, so I'm all for the idea of one of them (or both) facing Rudd's ANT-MAN head on.
Wilson has shown a terrific sense of humor in some of his better roles, so if that's what the role calls for he'll do great, but even if the part is that of a stone-cold baddie, I'm still intrigued to see what he brings to the table. He's got the leading-man good looks of both Rudd and Douglas, but I have to assume his character will be that of the heavy, or at least, more of a quirky supporting player, so I don't think Wright hired him for his "blandness" the way some directors have in the past. I hope that whoever he's playing is more off-the-wall and eccentric than we could even predict right now; I'd love to see Wilson (and Pena, for that matter) get a chance to really chew the scenery the way Hiddleston, Weaving, or Bridges did in the Phase One flicks.
Hell of a cast Wright is putting together on this one, and Wilson is yet another name he's landed that manages to increase my excitement for this oddball Marvel project.
ANT-MAN makes its six-legged way into theaters on July 17th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 302 total posts 73 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 245 total posts 60 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 299 total posts 52 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 101 total posts 48 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 246 total posts 13 posts
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 287 total posts 12 posts
- Check Out this New Poster for HORNS! -- 36 total posts 9 posts
- AICN Austin's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Screening at Alamo Lakeline is set! Come join the fun! -- 64 total posts 7 posts