Merrick Declares ROCKY: HEAVYWEIGHT COLLECTION A Draw!!
This should’ve hit the site last week - I’m running behind on a few scheduled write-ups. None the less, I wanted to offer a few quick words about the recently issued ROCKY HEAVYWEIGHT COLLECTION which sees the first film remastered in 4K.
I’m a huge fan of the ROCKY franchise - as I am of much of Stallone’s work in general (although there are some titles worthy or ire). So, it was with no small amount of excitement that I greeted the news that the first film in the franchise would be getting rejiggered into a more robust 4K format for a new release.
This new remastering is, in itself, fine. It’s even rather good at times - although it’s not as noticeable (or successful) a 4K emboldening as a number of other titles have undergone. The reworking of ROCKY into 4K is surprisingly understated. Colors are certainly richer and there’s a notable, overall visual ‘oomph’ which the previous issuance did not enjoy, but the general impact of presentation here isn’t likely to blow one out of the ring. I’d even go so far to say, some folks might appreciate the brighter and harsher look to which many of us have become accustomed when viewing the picture.
Here’s a comparison reel which gives you an admittedly flawed but illustrative sense of this new 4K mastering vs the 2006 edition.
Not having the zippiest of 4K restorations isn’t a profound crime, although it does seem to defy the point of attempting the process in the first place. In a number of regards, I’m not sure this remaster services the film as well as it might’ve…as well as it should’ve. Certain aesthetic qualities feel diminished and even muddied at times (HERE are some interactive screen grabs to give one a better sense of the ‘befores’ and ‘afters’), and some scenes feel like the folks driving the remastering machine didn’t fully consider the requirements of that specific sequence, and instead applied default settings (or something). I would not call this a poor re-mastering, nor would I call it entirely successful.
Another problem with this HEAVYWEIGHT release: this is a six movie set, and only the first film has been remastered. The second movie (arguably a stronger installment) remains the same version previously issued, as does the slicker ‘wouldn’t that look awesome in 4K?’ ROCKY IV, as do all other films in the cycle. Therefore, if you own the entire saga already, you’re being maneuvered into a mandatory double-dip if you want to partake in this 4K restoration here in the States. The cost for said double dip is reasonably fair, however - $39.99 on Amazon - but this doesn’t change the principle of the matter. Nor does it change that you’re being asked to spend $39.99 on a remaster which is less potent than it might’ve been.
Interestingly, and frustratingly, the first film is seeing a stand-alone re-release in the UK. One would assume this will eventually happen here, or that The Powers That Be will swing back to present yet another set with 4Ks of the entire sexology on-board.
So there you have it - a somewhat confounding issuance. In some regards, ROCKY has never look better on home video. In other regards, it has looked better on home video. It’s all a tad sloppy and crass. So sad, because Rocky Balboa would not approve of such shenanigans.
ROCKY: THE HEAVYWEIGHT COLLECTION is now available HERE in the US. And, by the way, there’s some fascinating and brilliantly truthful perspective from Sly HERE - shines a fresh and interesting light on an already fascinating man.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 70 total posts 18 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 62 total posts 10 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 116 total posts 9 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 347 total posts 6 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 58 total posts 5 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 57 total posts 4 posts
- Second Wave Titles Announced for FANTASTIC FEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- 8 total posts 4 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 300 total posts 4 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 57 total posts 4 posts