A Small Sampling Of Harold Ramis’ Radio And TV Work!!
Yes, comedy god Harold Ramis wrote and directed both “Caddyshack” and “Groundhog Day,” two of the finest and funniest movie comedies ever forged. He also wrote giant movie hits like “Ghostbusters,” “Animal House,” “Back To School,” “Meatballs” and “Stripes.”
But if he’d never done any of that, he’d still merit some online recognition from my horny little corner of the Internet today just for his work in broadcasting.
An often forgotten but important part of comedy history is Michael O’Donoghue’s brilliant “National Lampoon Radio Hour,” which featured future SNL players O’Donoghue, John Belushi, Bill Murray, Christopher Guest, Brian Doyle-Murray, Gilda Radner and Chevy Chase -- and future SCTV stars Joe Flaherty and Harold Ramis.
Here’s a radio sketch written and performed by Ramis, Belushi, Radner and Doyle-Murray:
And while everybody remembers Flaherty, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Dave Thomas, Andrea Martin, Catherine O’Hara from “SCTV Network,” fewer will recall that Ramis was the star and head writer of the first two “SCTV” seasons that aired in syndication before it moved to NBC. Ramis would take an occasional break from his high-paying Hollywood career to co-write and appear in some of the NBC episodes, though:
(If anybody can find a link or embed for Ramis’ “Grapes of Mud” sketch, kindly post it in talkback.)
Ramis also directed four episodes of “The Office,” including “Benihana Christmas,” which may be the single best “Office” ever produced.
Few funnier men stood upon this planet.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 232 total posts 232 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 355 total posts 128 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 115 total posts 115 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 284 total posts 100 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 116 total posts 63 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 35 total posts 35 posts
- A First And Promising Trailer For NIGHTFALL, The Ridley Scott Produced HALOverse Digital Series!! -- 29 total posts 29 posts