The one-sheet for Ti West's THE SACRAMENT is purdy, but super-revealing!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
One of the best times I've had at a theater recently was when I caught Ti West's THE SACRAMENT at the AFI Film Festival back in November. Knowing nothing about the film, aside from West's excellent repertoire (including HOUSE OF THE DEVIL and THE INNKEEPERS), I had an amazing time sitting in the theater and figuring out just what it was that I was watching. Like his two previous features, West's SACRAMENT has a slow build, and it's easily the least horror-y of his output so far. When the proverbial fit hit the shan, narratively speaking, I was simultaneously giddy and dumbstruck, and I was able to connect to what I was watching on a very deep and palpable level (how many recent genre movies can you truly say that about?).
So when I saw the above poster that IGN premiered today, I was super-bummed at how spoiler-y it is. The tagline, the imagery, and even the character in the illustration all give away (or, at the very least, seriously hint at) elements that aren't revealed in the film until the second half of the narrative. Now, I can acknowledge that this film's a hard sell, and it doesn't have the name actors or the superficial "thrills" or "scares" that would make marketing a cake-walk, but giving away the flick's secrets right there in the poster seems like Magnet (and West, if he was involved in this) may be shooting themselves in the foot. Without that slow, creeping realization of where the plot is heading, I don't know if the full effect of the film will be achieved on savvy, cynical audiences.
But hey, I've seen the film, so I immediately know what all this is alluding to. There's a good chance that millions of people could see this one-sheet and still have no idea what's in store for them when they actually see West's product. Plus, I like the poster design on a superficial level, particularly the illustration of Gene Jones' "Father". I just can't help but wish that this was some sort of after-the-fact art for the DVD release or something, created after the movie had been seen and embraced by West's fans, once audiences had had a chance to see the movie for themselves.
But as a fellow AICNer pointed out to me, "they're making the decision - they're comfortable with it out," so what the hell do I know. It's a great flick, so whatever they need to do, I hope they win all the money.
THE SACRAMENT will be performed on VOD on May 1, and in theaters on June 6th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 132 total posts 53 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 272 total posts 16 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 34 total posts 14 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 261 total posts 13 posts
- A thief will elude capture using interstellar teleportation in Doug Liman's RAILHEAD! -- 20 total posts 10 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 138 total posts 10 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 118 total posts 7 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 29 total posts 7 posts
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's THE NEST is now set to take on Luke Skywalker and friends in December 2015! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- Jessica Chastain to play Marilyn Monroe for Andrew Dominik in BLONDE! -- 43 total posts 6 posts