Terry Gilliam never says die, especially when it comes to THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Story via The Hollywood Reporter.
For as long as I've been reading movie news on the internet, Terry Gilliam has been trying to mount his personal take on the Don Quixote legend, entitled THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE. That first attempt, with Johnny Depp and Jean Rochefort, got gloriously derailed by weather, Rochefort's health, and general financing difficulties, as depicted in Keith Fulton and Louis Pepe's excellent doc, LOST IN LA MANCHA. Then, back in '09, production was gearing up yet again, this time with Ewan MacGregor and Robert Duvall headlining, but once again, the funding fell through on Gilliam, and it was back to the drawing board.
Then, last year, Depp all but killed any prospects for the film eventually materializing when he signed on to a Disney-backed incarnation of Cervantes' source material. Even hope for a stitched together, decades-in-development version of QUIXOTE like the one we got out of Welles seemed pretty much out of the question.
But, as Frank Booth would say, "Fuck that shit!" A month ago, Gilliam revealed that he was still working on the project, and provided the above concept art. Then, last week, Terry Gilliam told Empire that details have been worked out, and that he's finally commencing shooting on THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE on September 29th in the Canary Islands.
Gilliam somewhat credits producer Adrian Guerra (BURIED, GRAND PIANO) for getting the production back up-and-running, with a combination of cost-cutting techniques and a young man's passion for cinema. In Gilliam's words:
He's really smart, loves movies. He's young enough to still love movies. But we've still got to cast it and get the money but other than that, that's the deal…It's obsessive…desperate…pathetic…foolish." It's this growth, this tumor that's become part of my system that has to get out if I'm to survive."
Gilliam has an opera on his plate, and then is reuniting with Monty Python for whatever lucky bastards scored tickets to their O2 gigs, before jumping onto this project in September (he also has to find time to provide voice work on Terry Jones' ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING). Given that he's one of the most unique visionaries to ever work in mainstream cinema, and that this has long been his passion project, I sincerely hope that this time, the planets are aligned, and, more importantly, the checks are cashed, and Gilliam can finally make his DON QUIXOTE movie.
If Gilliam starts shooting this September, we can maybe expect THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE as early as mid-to-late 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 25 total posts 3 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 56 total posts 3 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 55 total posts 2 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 298 total posts 2 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 109 total posts 2 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 343 total posts 2 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 55 total posts 2 posts
- A New Poster For Robert Downey Jr’s THE JUDGE (It Has A Great Cast)!! -- 46 total posts 1 post
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 53 total posts 1 post