David Fincher to remake U.K. series UTOPIA for HBO!!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
A little over a year ago, a show came on Channel 4 in the U.K. called UTOPIA. It inspired a healthy amount of controversy due to its heavy violence, particularly a shocking third episode scene set inside a public school (which I won't spoil). Even though the series has a very geek friendly premise, involving an underground comic book artist who prophesizes the end of the world in his final work before disappearing, the show's been pretty much ignored by fanboys and average viewers alike on this side of the pond. Instead of porting the show over directly, HBO is going to remake the series with David Fincher onboard to direct the pilot and as executive producer.
The Hollywood Reporter got the news that Fincher and his GONE GIRL writer, Gillian Flynn, will collaborate on the HBO remake, which will also have original creator Dennis Kelly as an executive producer as well. No word on how many episodes will comprise the first season, nor on how closely they plan on following the original's structure; this property isn't quite as famous as GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO, so I'm thinking there's a strong chance that Fincher will take the same amount of liberties that he did with the American adaptation of HOUSE OF CARDS.
I was clued into the first series of UTOPIA by a friend who isn't what you'd call a "geek" at all, and I was shocked at the impression it made on me, considering I'd never heard of it. Beyond being thrilling, cleverly written, and surprisingly emotional, the series consistently has this haunting sense of intense paranoia. It's not action-packed, but when the violence occurs it's often harrowing and shocking. The backbone of the series is the main characters' attempt to decipher the subtext of the central graphic novel, creating a irresistible "in" for first-time viewers, and the characters, even at their most wounded and compromised, are engaging and relatable. I highly implore you to check the series out for yourself before the New Jack UTOPIA comes to our TVs, if only the first scene (which you can watch below).
Even if the original series doesn't seem to be getting the kind of stateside attention I would've liked, Fincher's HBO remake is all but guarenteed to, at the very least, shine a light on that excellent first series. Hopefully, Fincher can do with this series what he did with HOUSE OF CARDS, turning it into a masterful, country-wide phenom (and if you watch the original series, you'll see that's now out of the question). As long as they don't tone down the most brutal aspects of the show, I can't imagine it won't be, at the very least, a fun, exciting, geek-friendly show.
So the question I ask Fincher and his casting directors is: who…is…Jessica………Hyde?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone loved the pure joy of discovering the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!! -- 126 total posts 126 posts
- Trailer for MUDBLOODS - Documentary About Real Life Muggle Quidditch Players! -- 127 total posts 30 posts
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 293 total posts 28 posts
- International BIRDMAN Trailer Is Here!!! -- 152 total posts 23 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 306 total posts 19 posts
- Disney Taking The Ol' Bait-And-Switch Route With Teaser For INTO THE WOODS! -- 113 total posts 16 posts
- Rest In Peace Makeup Legend Dick Smith -- 112 total posts 15 posts
- Capone dances the line between loving Chadwick Boseman as James Brown and frustration with the rest of GET ON UP!!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 762 total posts 9 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 438 total posts 9 posts