"White power forrrreeeeevvvvverrrrr..." James Franco to play a KKK leader in Harmony Korine's A CRACK UP AT THE RACE RIOTS!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Harmony Korine and James Franco obviously made some waves when SPRING BREAKERS came out a little less than a year ago. Some decried it as a scandalous, superficial eyesore, others proclaimed it one of the best movies of the year. Either way, the outrageous film made an impression on just about everybody, and according to The New York Post, the Franco will hit the Korine well again for a racially charged film that would have him playing a Ku Klux Klan leader.
If what the ATL Twins (who also starred in SPRING BREAKERS) told the Post is true, they and Franco will be playing KKK members in A CRACKUP AT THE RACE RIOTS, based on Korine's crazy-sounding 1998 novel. The book was about a racially-divided alternate-universe Florida, where the whites are led by Vanilla Ice, the black folk led by MC Hammer, and the Jewish population safely retreated to the treetops. Korine and the ATL twins would play KKK members in this bizarre, tense landscape.
Going off of that ATL Twins quote, we have no idea whether Korine is even involved with this in direct manner, or if someone else (perhaps Franco?) is planning on adapting Korine's novel themselves. I'm hoping Korine uses his SPRING BREAKERS success (easily the biggest of his career, including KIDS) to make this his biggest, craziest, biggest-budgeted whack-fest to date, and once again uses Franco as his in with the multiplex crowd. But even if Franco directs this as one of his 9 trillion side projects, I'd still have to check it out; like a lot of Korine's work, it sounds far too bugged-out to ignore.
Now, the question is who's going to play Hammer and Vanilla Ice?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Rumor Has It Another Character Is Returning To STAR WARS... -- 293 total posts 293 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 248 total posts 139 posts
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 258 total posts 130 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 208 total posts 43 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for AMITYVILLE: THE AWAKENING! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 135 total posts 25 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 179 total posts 20 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 36 total posts 13 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 399 total posts 13 posts