John McTiernan is getting out of jail and back into the director's chair for RED SQUAD!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Even though his last two films, BASIC and ROLLERBALL weren't among his best, I feel we were deprived of some quality cinema when John McTiernan got busted for his association with that Anthony Pellicano wire-tapping scandal. His jail sentence, and the legal hubbub that preceded it, has kept McTiernan from getting behind the camera and getting that PREDATOR/DIE HARD/HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER mojo back. It's not the same situation as Walter Hill, who allegedly doesn't have to work that often because of his ALIEN money, or Richard Donner, who comfortably retired after a healthy half-century in the biz. This dude can do it, wants to do it, and thankfully, when he gets released later this month, he's jumping right back in the director's chair.
Over the weekend, Variety reported that, from behind bars, McTiernan has landed his first directing gig out the joint. He'll be helming a flick called RED SQUAD, written by relative newcomers Cam Cannon (A HAUNTING AT SILVER FALLS) and Jorge Suarez, for Hannibal Classics (that 50 Cent/Bruce Willis flick SETUP, the upcoming Nicolas Cager TOKAREV). RED SQUAD's about an ex-DEA agent who gets called back into the fold to take out a drug kingpin in a Mexican border town. Sounds like good, ol' fashioned McTiernan.
Considering the production company, I can't imagine the budget is going to be mega-high on this one, but former collaborators were coming forward and publicly backing McTiernan when the scandal was in full swing, so hopefully he'll get some sizable names volunteering his services for this "comeback" attempt. Dudes like John Hyams and Isaac Florentine have proven that with the right style and attitude, you can knock out a legit action movie with not all that much moolah, and they have all clearly drank from the McTiernan well, so I have faith he'd be able to acquit himself nicely to a relatively pared-down production.
Personally, it hits me on an emotional level that McTiernan is still willing to get back in the saddle for a gritty actioner, even if it comes out that he only took the gig just to restock his bank account after those legal hassles. He helped define the current big-budget action flick (so much that Columbia tasked him to deconstruct the genre in LAST ACTION HERO), and even when his films didn't quite hit the ground running, like BASIC, they still had an interesting energy or style that showed McTiernan wasn't just sleepwalking. He cared about his work, and I'm praying that his jail sentence (or age) hasn't weathered that enthusiasm down at all, because another badass McTiernan action flick is just what the doctor ordered.
RED SQUAD is scheduled to start shooting this spring, so hopefully we'll get our eyes on some new McTiernan goodness sometime in 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts