FX Developing Limited Series Based on John Scalzi's REDSHIRTS!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
Exciting news to kick of your weekend! Deadline is reporting that FX is on track to turn sci-fi writer John Scalzi's hilariously awesome novel Redshirts into a limited-run series. If you are unfamiliar with the book (which won the 2013 Hugo Award), it follows a group of new recruits on the Starship Intrepid as it explores the galaxy, getting into all kinds of adventures and leaving all kinds of dead and maimed crewmen in it wake. Our group soon learns that their existance and reality is actually linked to the plot of a crappy Star Trek rip-off show running on network television.
The offical plot description is below, via Amazon. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend you check it out - it's a total blast, and plays with a lot of conventions typical of sci-fi television.
Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship’s famous senior officers.
Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to realize that 1) every Away Mission involves a lethal confrontation with alien forces, 2) the ship’s senior officers always survive these confrontations, and 3) sadly, at least one low-ranking crew member is invariably killed. Unsurprisingly, the savvier crew members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs.
Then Andrew stumbles on information that transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.
The search is currently on for writers, and Scalzi (who also served as a creative consultant on STARGATE UNIVERSE) stated today via Twitter that he will be serving as Executive Producer on the show.
This story is a lot of fun, and one that I can't wait to see brought to television. And a limited series is a great way to go.
What do you guys think?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 116 total posts 116 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 231 total posts 100 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 112 total posts 77 posts
- Quint has seen Gareth Edwards and Legendary's Godzilla presentation at SXSW! Full on Kaiju badassery! -- 50 total posts 50 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 103 total posts 31 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews THE RAID 2: BERANDAL! -- 28 total posts 28 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 82 total posts 23 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 97 total posts 21 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 86 total posts 20 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 135 total posts 17 posts