FX Developing Limited Series Based on John Scalzi's REDSHIRTS!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
Exciting news to kick of your weekend! Deadline is reporting that FX is on track to turn sci-fi writer John Scalzi's hilariously awesome novel Redshirts into a limited-run series. If you are unfamiliar with the book (which won the 2013 Hugo Award), it follows a group of new recruits on the Starship Intrepid as it explores the galaxy, getting into all kinds of adventures and leaving all kinds of dead and maimed crewmen in it wake. Our group soon learns that their existance and reality is actually linked to the plot of a crappy Star Trek rip-off show running on network television.
The offical plot description is below, via Amazon. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend you check it out - it's a total blast, and plays with a lot of conventions typical of sci-fi television.
Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship’s famous senior officers.
Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to realize that 1) every Away Mission involves a lethal confrontation with alien forces, 2) the ship’s senior officers always survive these confrontations, and 3) sadly, at least one low-ranking crew member is invariably killed. Unsurprisingly, the savvier crew members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs.
Then Andrew stumbles on information that transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.
The search is currently on for writers, and Scalzi (who also served as a creative consultant on STARGATE UNIVERSE) stated today via Twitter that he will be serving as Executive Producer on the show.
This story is a lot of fun, and one that I can't wait to see brought to television. And a limited series is a great way to go.
What do you guys think?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 529 total posts 143 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 313 total posts 135 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 100 total posts 100 posts
- For your viewing pleasure, a 5-minute clip of Star Lord and his GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 232 total posts 87 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 81 total posts 81 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Could This Be The (Barebones) Plot Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII?! SPOILERS! -- 1499 total posts 56 posts
- A Recently Recovered Gene Roddenberry Interview Leads To A Kickstarter About The Early Days Of STAR TREK!! -- 53 total posts 53 posts
Longest. Marathon. Ever.
FXX To Air All 25 Years Of THE SIMPSONS Over 12 Days Starting Aug. 21!! -- 84 total posts 51 posts
Only Seven Episodes
Of LOUIE Next Year!! -- 60 total posts 50 posts