FX Developing Limited Series Based on John Scalzi's REDSHIRTS!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
Exciting news to kick of your weekend! Deadline is reporting that FX is on track to turn sci-fi writer John Scalzi's hilariously awesome novel Redshirts into a limited-run series. If you are unfamiliar with the book (which won the 2013 Hugo Award), it follows a group of new recruits on the Starship Intrepid as it explores the galaxy, getting into all kinds of adventures and leaving all kinds of dead and maimed crewmen in it wake. Our group soon learns that their existance and reality is actually linked to the plot of a crappy Star Trek rip-off show running on network television.
The offical plot description is below, via Amazon. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend you check it out - it's a total blast, and plays with a lot of conventions typical of sci-fi television.
Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship’s famous senior officers.
Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to realize that 1) every Away Mission involves a lethal confrontation with alien forces, 2) the ship’s senior officers always survive these confrontations, and 3) sadly, at least one low-ranking crew member is invariably killed. Unsurprisingly, the savvier crew members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs.
Then Andrew stumbles on information that transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.
The search is currently on for writers, and Scalzi (who also served as a creative consultant on STARGATE UNIVERSE) stated today via Twitter that he will be serving as Executive Producer on the show.
This story is a lot of fun, and one that I can't wait to see brought to television. And a limited series is a great way to go.
What do you guys think?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 213 total posts 213 posts
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 179 total posts 179 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 457 total posts 120 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 113 total posts 113 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 179 total posts 49 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 75 total posts 46 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 53 total posts 45 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 56 total posts 34 posts