BREAKING BAD Writer Sam Catlin Will Run Seth Rogen’s PREACHER Should AMC Greenlight It To Series!!
Big-screen writer-directors (and Judd Apatow protégés) Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (“This Is The End”) are writing AMC’s “Preacher” pilot but Sam Catlin, who wrote 10 episodes of “Breaking Bad,” will be showrunner if AMC decides to take it to series.
Rogen, of course, started out in TV, writing and performing on Apatow's "Freaks and Geeks" and "Undeclared."
Look! Press release!
AMC AND SONY PICTURES TELEVISION TO DEVELOP PREACHER AS A DRAMATIC SERIES ON AMC
NEW YORK, NY and LOS ANGELES, CA – February 6, 2014 – AMC and Sony Pictures Television today announced an agreement to develop Preacher as a dramatic series on AMC. Based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s twisted 90’s comic book series, the project will be executive produced and written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (This is the End). Sam Catlin (Breaking Bad) will serve as executive producer and showrunner.
Preacher follows Reverend Jesse Custer, a tough Texas preacher who has lost his faith, has learned that God has left Heaven and abandoned His responsibilities. He finds himself the only person capable of tracking God down, demanding answers, and making Him answer for His dereliction of duty. Accompanying Jesse on his journey is his former girlfriend and a friendly vampire who seems to prefer a pint in the pub to the blood of the innocent. On his tail is one of the most iconic bad guys in print – an immortal, unstoppable killing machine named the Saint of Killers – a western lone gunman archetype whose sole purpose is to hunt and kill Jesse.
“This is a great piece of material for AMC, and we're thrilled to begin working with the creative team behind it to make another iconic AMC series,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s EVP of original programming, production and digital content.
Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg said, “This is amazing! We've tried for seven years to work on Preacher and we're so psyched AMC is finally letting us. It is our favorite comic of all time, and we're going to do everything we can to do it right. Humperdoo!”
Garth Ennis said, “Steve Dillon and I are very happy to see Preacher being developed for TV, which seems a much more natural home for the story than a 2-hour movie. Between them, Sony TV and AMC have brought viewers two of my favorite shows with Breaking Bad and Mad Men, and it's exactly that kind of creative commitment and courage that Preacher needs. Obviously it’s taken a while, but Ken Levin along with Neal Moritz and his team refused to give up, long after the point when I myself grew skeptical, and their unrelenting enthusiasm for the project has gotten us where we need to be. I’m particularly impressed that Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin understand Preacher fully -- meaning they get it for what it is, not some vague approximation. All in all, it looks like Preacher can now be brought to TV in a way that I'd previously not have thought possible, and I very much appreciate that Steve and I have been included in the conversation in the way that we have.”
EP/W: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (This is the End) for Point Grey Pictures
EP/Showrunner: Sam Catlin (Breaking Bad)
EP: Neal Moritz, Vivian Cannon and Ori Marmur for Original Films
EPs: Ken Levin, Jason Netter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 550 total posts 10 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 165 total posts 7 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 113 total posts 5 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 145 total posts 4 posts
- A Recently Recovered Gene Roddenberry Interview Leads To A Kickstarter About The Early Days Of STAR TREK!! -- 70 total posts 4 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 331 total posts 4 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 52 total posts 3 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 21 total posts 3 posts
- "What will you do when you find your father?" "I'm going to kill him." Teaser trailer for NED RIFLE, "the third and final chapter of HENRY FOOL"! -- 16 total posts 2 posts
- Exclusive MATADOR Clip!! New DRUNK, TYRANT, NATHAN, CARTER, GEAR, STORAGE, SHIPPING, SWAP, LOSS, LITTLE, LIARS, & PAINS!! LITTLE WOMEN LA Finale!! Howard Stern’s TALENT!! Richard Linklater On THE DAILY SHOW!! Max Brooks On TAVIS!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 2 posts