KING OF KONG director Seth Gordon to tackle the adventures of Nathan Drake in UNCHARTED!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Seth Gordon left the HORRIBLE BOSSES game for Sean Anders to try his hand at helming the sequel, and now, I think we know what he's got on his plate next, and it doesn't look like it'll be the Jason Sudeikis/Charlie Day reteam ONE NIGHT ON THE HUDSON. The Wrap has just reported that Gordon, who made his bones on the popular video game doc THE KING OF KONG, has been tasked with translating the adventures of UNCHARTED's Nathan Drake onto the big screen.
For the uninitiated, the UNCHARTED series is one of the largest Playstation-exclusive titles Sony has right now, and has sold 17 million copies over the course of three PS3 games (with a fourth coming out soon for PS4). It follows Nathan Drake, a treasure hunter in the Indiana Jones/Lara Croft mold who's a descendant of explorer Francis Drake, as he braves the elements and competing marauders in his search for priceless artifacts. His mentor, Sully, often assists him on his quests, which, in the games, have taken him from South America to Nepal and, most recently, the Arabian Desert.
No word on which (if any) of the games writer David Guggenheim (SAFE HOUSE, STOLEN) is basing his story on, or who Sony has in mind to play Drake (I guess Fassbender is out), but I'm super-stoked that Gordon is joining Dunan Jones and Daniel Espinosa in trying his hand at a big-budget video game adaptation. He obviously knows his stuff in regards to gaming, and the successes of both HORRIBLE BOSSES and IDENTITY THIEF showed that he has a knack for connecting with audiences, so the only question is his talent for staging high-energy action sequences and maintaining the breakneck pace of a thriller (although KING OF KONG advocates could argue that he's already done that). I have faith that Gordon's main priority will be to accurately convey the breakneck thrills of the video game in a cinematic fashion, and if he didn't think he could do it, I doubt he would've taken the gig.
Who they get to play Nathan Drake will obviously play a huge part in getting fans excited, as well as the logistics of the production/marketing, but many of us can rest safely knowing the property is in the hands of a gifted, clever, and clearly passionate director.
How do you UNCHARTED fans feel about this? Is Gordon "one of the good ones", or would you prefer someone with more action experience helming the first onscreen adventure of Nathan Drake?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 138 total posts 86 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 164 total posts 57 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 73 total posts 21 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 74 total posts 21 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 40 total posts 18 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 354 total posts 18 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 66 total posts 13 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 249 total posts 12 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 280 total posts 12 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 65 total posts 12 posts