Guy Ritchie to helm a take on the legend of King Arthur?!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
It's only been 10 years since that Clive Owen "real" retelling of the King Arthur legend, and there have already been a few other versions of that tale in development. There's David Dobkin's ARTHUR & LANCELOT which would've had either Joel Kinnaman or Colin Farrell as Lancelot, Gary Oldman as Merlin, and Kit Harrington as Arthur. There was also a direct remake of John Boorman's excellent EXCALIBUR that Brian Singer was hoping to direct. And now, according to Deadline, Guy Ritchie is looking to get a six-film franchise off the ground based on the legend of the Lady in the Lake, the Sword of Power, Camelot, and the Knights of the Round Table.
Joby Harold, whose lone writing credit is on that Hayden Christensen conscious-during-anethesia movie AWAKE, conceived the omnibus project, and has been hired by producer Akiva Goldsman to hammer out all six scripts. Ritchie had previously wanted to do an Arthur feature based on a John Hodge script, but that got shut down when Warner Bros. started getting ARTHUR & LANCELOT going (which, of course, never happened). It's nice to see that his heart appears to be in it, and after seeing his take on SHERLOCK HOLMES, I'm fascinated to see him tackle another staple of English fiction and folklore. Not only do I think it could be a spin on the age-old story that we haven't seen before, but it could bring the tale of Arthur, his sword, his knights, his precious Guinevere, and his kingdom into contemporary pop culture relevance. I think the six film idea will allow Ritchie to really dig deep into the legend, depicting it in all its glory while adding his own interpretation and style into the mix. Could be opportunism in the wake of HARRY POTTER, could be brilliant. Only time (and an official greenlight) will tell.
Do six films about the appointment, reign, and eventual death of King Arthur directed by Guy Ritchie appeal to you at all, or is the story antiquated jibbery-joo?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 300 total posts 19 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 577 total posts 11 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 229 total posts 9 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 254 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 198 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 119 total posts 4 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 194 total posts 4 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 3 total posts 3 posts