Guy Ritchie to helm a take on the legend of King Arthur?!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
It's only been 10 years since that Clive Owen "real" retelling of the King Arthur legend, and there have already been a few other versions of that tale in development. There's David Dobkin's ARTHUR & LANCELOT which would've had either Joel Kinnaman or Colin Farrell as Lancelot, Gary Oldman as Merlin, and Kit Harrington as Arthur. There was also a direct remake of John Boorman's excellent EXCALIBUR that Brian Singer was hoping to direct. And now, according to Deadline, Guy Ritchie is looking to get a six-film franchise off the ground based on the legend of the Lady in the Lake, the Sword of Power, Camelot, and the Knights of the Round Table.
Joby Harold, whose lone writing credit is on that Hayden Christensen conscious-during-anethesia movie AWAKE, conceived the omnibus project, and has been hired by producer Akiva Goldsman to hammer out all six scripts. Ritchie had previously wanted to do an Arthur feature based on a John Hodge script, but that got shut down when Warner Bros. started getting ARTHUR & LANCELOT going (which, of course, never happened). It's nice to see that his heart appears to be in it, and after seeing his take on SHERLOCK HOLMES, I'm fascinated to see him tackle another staple of English fiction and folklore. Not only do I think it could be a spin on the age-old story that we haven't seen before, but it could bring the tale of Arthur, his sword, his knights, his precious Guinevere, and his kingdom into contemporary pop culture relevance. I think the six film idea will allow Ritchie to really dig deep into the legend, depicting it in all its glory while adding his own interpretation and style into the mix. Could be opportunism in the wake of HARRY POTTER, could be brilliant. Only time (and an official greenlight) will tell.
Do six films about the appointment, reign, and eventual death of King Arthur directed by Guy Ritchie appeal to you at all, or is the story antiquated jibbery-joo?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 173 total posts 173 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 438 total posts 101 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 174 total posts 44 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 73 total posts 44 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 51 total posts 43 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 38 total posts 31 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 65 total posts 29 posts