Guy Ritchie to helm a take on the legend of King Arthur?!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
It's only been 10 years since that Clive Owen "real" retelling of the King Arthur legend, and there have already been a few other versions of that tale in development. There's David Dobkin's ARTHUR & LANCELOT which would've had either Joel Kinnaman or Colin Farrell as Lancelot, Gary Oldman as Merlin, and Kit Harrington as Arthur. There was also a direct remake of John Boorman's excellent EXCALIBUR that Brian Singer was hoping to direct. And now, according to Deadline, Guy Ritchie is looking to get a six-film franchise off the ground based on the legend of the Lady in the Lake, the Sword of Power, Camelot, and the Knights of the Round Table.
Joby Harold, whose lone writing credit is on that Hayden Christensen conscious-during-anethesia movie AWAKE, conceived the omnibus project, and has been hired by producer Akiva Goldsman to hammer out all six scripts. Ritchie had previously wanted to do an Arthur feature based on a John Hodge script, but that got shut down when Warner Bros. started getting ARTHUR & LANCELOT going (which, of course, never happened). It's nice to see that his heart appears to be in it, and after seeing his take on SHERLOCK HOLMES, I'm fascinated to see him tackle another staple of English fiction and folklore. Not only do I think it could be a spin on the age-old story that we haven't seen before, but it could bring the tale of Arthur, his sword, his knights, his precious Guinevere, and his kingdom into contemporary pop culture relevance. I think the six film idea will allow Ritchie to really dig deep into the legend, depicting it in all its glory while adding his own interpretation and style into the mix. Could be opportunism in the wake of HARRY POTTER, could be brilliant. Only time (and an official greenlight) will tell.
Do six films about the appointment, reign, and eventual death of King Arthur directed by Guy Ritchie appeal to you at all, or is the story antiquated jibbery-joo?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 197 total posts 197 posts
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 125 total posts 125 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- From The Wasteland Emerges A MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Teaser Poster! -- 121 total posts 121 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 217 total posts 76 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 392 total posts 65 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 61 total posts 61 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 105 total posts 56 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 205 total posts 47 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 43 total posts 43 posts