Quint takes a quick look at LOCKE (aka Tom Hardy in a car) from Sundance 2014!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with a little writeup of another damn fine film from this year's Sundance lineup. Locke begins with Tom Hardy getting into his car and there he stays for the entire runtime.
Ivan Locke is by all accounts a good man. He's a construction man, king of concrete. He's the go-to guy when it comes to making strong foundations for skyscrapers and is in charge of the biggest job of his career when he just up and decides to take a right turn out of town, towards London and away from his waiting family.
All but the first 90 or so seconds of the film takes place in this car as Hardy takes and makes a series of calls juggling his job responsibilities, his familial responsibilities and, of course, his reason for taking the hour and a half out of left field drive to London.
Locke's essentially a one man show, so thank God they had Tom Hardy as that one man because in lesser hands this film would have very quickly lost its appeal. Hardy really brings his A-game here and director Steven Knight is able to keep things visually interesting as the emotional story builds and becomes more and more chaotic.
It really all does rest on Hardy's shoulders, though. I can only imagine the pressure being the sole focus of an entire film puts on an actor. If Hardy felt any of that pressure it sure doesn't show in the film. His performance is assured and multi-layered. This seemingly composed individual begins to crack as the reality of the consequences of his “right thing to do” decision settles in.
A24 is releasing this one April 25th, so make sure to keep an eye out if you like good movies.
Make sure to Follow Me On Twitter as I continue to wade through all the crazy movies (not to mention the snow) at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival. I'll be tweeting my immediate thoughts throughout the fest, so follow along, whydontcha?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 332 total posts 267 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 237 total posts 237 posts
- Mike Epps Is Lee Daniels's Richard Pryor! -- 163 total posts 102 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 97 total posts 97 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 451 total posts 95 posts
- Copernicus interviews Andy Weir, author of THE MARTIAN -- Ridley Scott's next film! -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 296 total posts 67 posts
- Harry Potter Gets Horny!! No, Really!! See, He Has HORNS!! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 52 total posts 52 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 51 total posts 51 posts