Quint takes a quick look at LOCKE (aka Tom Hardy in a car) from Sundance 2014!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with a little writeup of another damn fine film from this year's Sundance lineup. Locke begins with Tom Hardy getting into his car and there he stays for the entire runtime.
Ivan Locke is by all accounts a good man. He's a construction man, king of concrete. He's the go-to guy when it comes to making strong foundations for skyscrapers and is in charge of the biggest job of his career when he just up and decides to take a right turn out of town, towards London and away from his waiting family.
All but the first 90 or so seconds of the film takes place in this car as Hardy takes and makes a series of calls juggling his job responsibilities, his familial responsibilities and, of course, his reason for taking the hour and a half out of left field drive to London.
Locke's essentially a one man show, so thank God they had Tom Hardy as that one man because in lesser hands this film would have very quickly lost its appeal. Hardy really brings his A-game here and director Steven Knight is able to keep things visually interesting as the emotional story builds and becomes more and more chaotic.
It really all does rest on Hardy's shoulders, though. I can only imagine the pressure being the sole focus of an entire film puts on an actor. If Hardy felt any of that pressure it sure doesn't show in the film. His performance is assured and multi-layered. This seemingly composed individual begins to crack as the reality of the consequences of his “right thing to do” decision settles in.
A24 is releasing this one April 25th, so make sure to keep an eye out if you like good movies.
Make sure to Follow Me On Twitter as I continue to wade through all the crazy movies (not to mention the snow) at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival. I'll be tweeting my immediate thoughts throughout the fest, so follow along, whydontcha?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 53 total posts 53 posts
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 50 total posts 50 posts
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 58 total posts 36 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 152 total posts 32 posts
- Jon Favreau Still Contemplating A Trip To The MAGIC KINGDOM! -- 58 total posts 32 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 325 total posts 31 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 341 total posts 22 posts
- Atom Egoyan's West Memphis Three Drama DEVIL'S KNOT Gets A Suitably Dramatic Trailer! -- 32 total posts 18 posts
- ‘That Place Can Be Exhausting!!’ Herc Endorses Tonight’s JUSTIFIED 5.9!! -- 16 total posts 16 posts