Johnny Depp as DOCTOR STRANGE!?! Say it isn't so!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
As Marvel begins really developing it’s Phase 3 films (that begin after THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON) we are going to hear a lot of rumors and announcements this year. It began earlier today with Marvel’s official announcement that Michael Douglas is going to be playing Hank Pym in ANT-MAN. That is the first and only announced film so far for Phase 3, but we know a DOCTOR STRANGE film is on the way and is a priority to Marvel.
Now, comes a new rumor from Latino Review that reports Johnny Depp has met with Marvel about the role of Doctor Stephen Strange. This would make business sense as there is a big void that will be left behind (both salary and box office wise) now that Robert Downey Jr. is rumored to be done with solo IRON MAN films. Johnny Depp is an “A-list” celebrity with a lot of box office success (especially internationally).
There were rumors swirling that Depp had met with Marvel to provide the voice of Rocket Raccoon and he still reportedly has a very good relationship with Disney. On the other hand, DOCTOR STRANGE is rumored to be on the cards for 2016 as is PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES so scheduling might be an issue. Disney owns both properties though, so win/win either way for them.
Creatively, I don’t like the casting. Depp seems like too obvious or safe of a pick. I was hoping for a Timothy Olyphant-type actor that would be a little bit of a risk but would have high rewards if it worked (like we are getting with Paul Rudd in ANT-MAN). It is just a meeting though and I am sure Marvel is considering many actors for the role and the odds of this even happening are probably small. It is a possibility though so let us know what you think of it.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 550 total posts 10 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 165 total posts 7 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 113 total posts 5 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 145 total posts 4 posts
- A Recently Recovered Gene Roddenberry Interview Leads To A Kickstarter About The Early Days Of STAR TREK!! -- 70 total posts 4 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 331 total posts 4 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 52 total posts 3 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 21 total posts 3 posts
- "What will you do when you find your father?" "I'm going to kill him." Teaser trailer for NED RIFLE, "the third and final chapter of HENRY FOOL"! -- 16 total posts 2 posts
- Exclusive MATADOR Clip!! New DRUNK, TYRANT, NATHAN, CARTER, GEAR, STORAGE, SHIPPING, SWAP, LOSS, LITTLE, LIARS, & PAINS!! LITTLE WOMEN LA Finale!! Howard Stern’s TALENT!! Richard Linklater On THE DAILY SHOW!! Max Brooks On TAVIS!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 2 posts