Max Landis to script a HOUDINI biopic with an "H.P. Lovecraft influence"!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Despite having a wonky industry reputation (which he's gotten by taking sole credit on the screenplay for CHRONICLE and a surprisingly candid sex interview, among other things), Max Landis remains a hard-working and creative individual. He made waves online with his takes on DEATH AND RETURN OF SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN, has three scripts in various stages of production (with probably several more in development), and just directed his first movie, ME HIM HER. Now, according to Deadline, Landis' next gig is scripting a HOUDINI biopic for Sony Pictures.
Houdini's had a ton of films made about him over the years, including the George Pal version that starred Tony Curtis, the recent DEATH DEFYING ACTS with Guy Pearce, and an upcoming History Channel miniseries starring Adrien Brody as the legendary magician. This one hopes to distinguish itself from the rest with a reported "H.P. Lovecraft influence," which I guess may not have been as prevalent in the previous Scott Frank draft that Francis Lawrence was going to direct. I don't know exactly what a Lovecraftian Houdini biopic entails, other than the possibility that his illusions may be played as real feats, or at least vaguely hinted at as such. Hell, they were both around at the same time, so maybe Landis could even give Lovecraft an onscreen cameo (my casting vote goes to Paul Dano)!
Overlooking his rep, I tend to find Landis consistently funny and unwilling to take the easy way out, narratively speaking, so I'm intrigued to see how this project develops. With the right director and leading man, it could be a great, engaging look at a fascinating early-20th century figure, as well as educating a generation of moviegoers who very well might not even know who he is.
Just don't make it into THE RAVEN, Max. Nobody wants that.
Who do you guys see starring as Erik Weisz a.k.a. Harry Houdini? Who would be your dream director for the thing?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 198 total posts 173 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 158 total posts 114 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 194 total posts 51 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 558 total posts 35 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 180 total posts 23 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 111 total posts 21 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 356 total posts 9 posts
- REAL HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION Premiere!! The Return Of ORPHAN BLACK!! Hallmark’s A LESSON IN ROMANCE!! Lifetime’s A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts