Max Landis to script a HOUDINI biopic with an "H.P. Lovecraft influence"!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Despite having a wonky industry reputation (which he's gotten by taking sole credit on the screenplay for CHRONICLE and a surprisingly candid sex interview, among other things), Max Landis remains a hard-working and creative individual. He made waves online with his takes on DEATH AND RETURN OF SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN, has three scripts in various stages of production (with probably several more in development), and just directed his first movie, ME HIM HER. Now, according to Deadline, Landis' next gig is scripting a HOUDINI biopic for Sony Pictures.
Houdini's had a ton of films made about him over the years, including the George Pal version that starred Tony Curtis, the recent DEATH DEFYING ACTS with Guy Pearce, and an upcoming History Channel miniseries starring Adrien Brody as the legendary magician. This one hopes to distinguish itself from the rest with a reported "H.P. Lovecraft influence," which I guess may not have been as prevalent in the previous Scott Frank draft that Francis Lawrence was going to direct. I don't know exactly what a Lovecraftian Houdini biopic entails, other than the possibility that his illusions may be played as real feats, or at least vaguely hinted at as such. Hell, they were both around at the same time, so maybe Landis could even give Lovecraft an onscreen cameo (my casting vote goes to Paul Dano)!
Overlooking his rep, I tend to find Landis consistently funny and unwilling to take the easy way out, narratively speaking, so I'm intrigued to see how this project develops. With the right director and leading man, it could be a great, engaging look at a fascinating early-20th century figure, as well as educating a generation of moviegoers who very well might not even know who he is.
Just don't make it into THE RAVEN, Max. Nobody wants that.
Who do you guys see starring as Erik Weisz a.k.a. Harry Houdini? Who would be your dream director for the thing?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is this our first look at The Thing from Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR reboot!?! -- 133 total posts 118 posts
- "The walrus is far more evolved than any man I've ever known...present company included." Trailer for Kevin Smith's TUSK has arrived! -- 63 total posts 54 posts
- Nordling Reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 50 total posts 50 posts
- SDCC '14: James Gunn to write and direct the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY sequel!! -- 96 total posts 44 posts
- Capone believes HERCULES does a Rock-solid job demystifying and reinforcing the myth!!! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- Capone can't decide if Luc Besson's LUCY is a dumb movie about smart people or a smart movie about dumb people. Whatever it is, he still mostly digs it!!! -- 32 total posts 32 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 268 total posts 31 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 124 total posts 28 posts
- Patrick Wilson drops out of ANT-MAN!! -- 112 total posts 24 posts
- Learn Which STAR TREK Icon Joins GAME OF THRONES Next Season!! (Hint: Not Nimoy!!) -- 20 total posts 20 posts