This Week's Saturday Shorts: Bad Break Ups, Gnomes, Werewolf Kids, and More!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's fun edition of SATURDAY SHORTS, the online screening room for shorts (new and old) created and submitted by fellow AICN readers. I hope you fine folks had a damn fine week and your weekend's off to a good start. Today I've got four shorts that you're going to be glad you saw. One of them I've tried screening here about a year ago and just got the go ahead on Tuesday, so I'm damn excited to see how you guys and gals dig it. If you're in the mood for some comedy with a kick of drama, then you've stumbled into the right place. So let's kill the jibber jabber and hop right on into some stuff, eh?
Boom! Right out the gate we've got a special treat, SATURDAY SHORTS alum Todd Strauss-Schulson's latest cinematic endeaver. He and the gang at Ulterior Productions have whipped up a rather fun flick with a rockin' cast, clean shots, and substance. If you like what you see, then be sure to follow Todd on Twitter (@straussschulson) or hit up the Ulterior Productions website.
THE CASE OF THE MISSING GARDEN GNOME
Up next we've got a film I fell in love with almost a year ago (Though I could totally be mistaken). I wanted to post it right after I saw it, but there were a few things preventing it at the time. Well, the dust has settled and I'm priveleged to exhibit Alberto Belli's fun mystery starring the ever-so-likeable Rob Benedict (WAITING) who's hot on the case of one of the most mundane thefts ever. "SEAMUS BIGGS (Rob Benedict), a hard-boiled private eye who likes to work alone, reluctantly teams up with his estranged ten-year-old daughter, JILL, to rescue a missing garden gnome in an adventure that pits them against a femme fatale, a group of gun-toting Gnome Liberators, and each other. As they work together to solve this unique case, Seamus discovers that maybe having a partner isn't so bad after all." If you want more information on what Belli's got next, then be sure to poke around his website!
THE WIZARD AND THE WEREWOLF
Let's switch gears a little with our drama of the week. Here we've got a sweet film from Mornray Films's very own Russell Noon. "When a recently widowed old man decides to give up on life it takes the wisdom of two young trick or treaters to help him see the error of his ways."
And how fitting that I save LAST REMNANTS for last? Fun, quirky, and slightly dry - just my style. Director Charles Pieper apparently got the idea from a strange newspaper article from 1901 written in the Chicago Herold. "LAST REMNANTS is about a young man whose night out at a diner takes a curious turn when he is confronted by a stranger completely removed from the modern era..." Be sure to hit up Pieper's website if your curious about his other work!
All right ladies and gents, that's it for this week. I'll see you fine folks in a week! Keep making cool stuff!
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
BY THE WAY: If you've had a short featured here, that means that I personally am a fan of your work, so feel free to shoot me any kind of news on new projects/films/whatever. I can't say I'll be able to help or in what capacity, but I'm interested in your work and am always down to see more! (Keep making cool stuff, everyone!)
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 229 total posts 219 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 138 total posts 32 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 72 total posts 20 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 45 total posts 19 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 234 total posts 12 posts
- David Fincher wants more money to do his JOBS! -- 177 total posts 12 posts
- MAGIC MIKE XXL gets a release date! -- 21 total posts 9 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 24 total posts 8 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 110 total posts 7 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 65 total posts 6 posts