This Week's Saturday Shorts: Bad Break Ups, Gnomes, Werewolf Kids, and More!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's fun edition of SATURDAY SHORTS, the online screening room for shorts (new and old) created and submitted by fellow AICN readers. I hope you fine folks had a damn fine week and your weekend's off to a good start. Today I've got four shorts that you're going to be glad you saw. One of them I've tried screening here about a year ago and just got the go ahead on Tuesday, so I'm damn excited to see how you guys and gals dig it. If you're in the mood for some comedy with a kick of drama, then you've stumbled into the right place. So let's kill the jibber jabber and hop right on into some stuff, eh?
Boom! Right out the gate we've got a special treat, SATURDAY SHORTS alum Todd Strauss-Schulson's latest cinematic endeaver. He and the gang at Ulterior Productions have whipped up a rather fun flick with a rockin' cast, clean shots, and substance. If you like what you see, then be sure to follow Todd on Twitter (@straussschulson) or hit up the Ulterior Productions website.
THE CASE OF THE MISSING GARDEN GNOME
Up next we've got a film I fell in love with almost a year ago (Though I could totally be mistaken). I wanted to post it right after I saw it, but there were a few things preventing it at the time. Well, the dust has settled and I'm priveleged to exhibit Alberto Belli's fun mystery starring the ever-so-likeable Rob Benedict (WAITING) who's hot on the case of one of the most mundane thefts ever. "SEAMUS BIGGS (Rob Benedict), a hard-boiled private eye who likes to work alone, reluctantly teams up with his estranged ten-year-old daughter, JILL, to rescue a missing garden gnome in an adventure that pits them against a femme fatale, a group of gun-toting Gnome Liberators, and each other. As they work together to solve this unique case, Seamus discovers that maybe having a partner isn't so bad after all." If you want more information on what Belli's got next, then be sure to poke around his website!
THE WIZARD AND THE WEREWOLF
Let's switch gears a little with our drama of the week. Here we've got a sweet film from Mornray Films's very own Russell Noon. "When a recently widowed old man decides to give up on life it takes the wisdom of two young trick or treaters to help him see the error of his ways."
And how fitting that I save LAST REMNANTS for last? Fun, quirky, and slightly dry - just my style. Director Charles Pieper apparently got the idea from a strange newspaper article from 1901 written in the Chicago Herold. "LAST REMNANTS is about a young man whose night out at a diner takes a curious turn when he is confronted by a stranger completely removed from the modern era..." Be sure to hit up Pieper's website if your curious about his other work!
All right ladies and gents, that's it for this week. I'll see you fine folks in a week! Keep making cool stuff!
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
BY THE WAY: If you've had a short featured here, that means that I personally am a fan of your work, so feel free to shoot me any kind of news on new projects/films/whatever. I can't say I'll be able to help or in what capacity, but I'm interested in your work and am always down to see more! (Keep making cool stuff, everyone!)
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts