New photos from X-Men: Days of Future Past give us our first look at Quicksilver!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Bryan Singer isn't really given the credit he's due for his part in shaping the tentpole landscape today. When he made X-Men it was almost in spite of 20th Century Fox, who got cold feet before shooting, slashed the budget and left him to try to make the movie work.
Kids today don't remember what it was like before the geeks took over the cinematic world. That first X-Men movie being successful is directly responsible to the rise of Marvel Studios who reshaped the industry and created an audience that the studios ignored or mistreated for so long.
I'm not ignoring Blade's success or the great impact Superman and Batman had on the cinematic landscape in the '70s and '80s, but it was definitely the one-two punch of Singer's X-Men and Raimi's Spider-Man that gave us the orgy of superhero movies we know today.
So, with all respect and admiration to Mr. Singer, I say I'm nervous about Days of Future Past. It's a perfect story and a great way to splinter off of Singer's original series without fucking up continuity (a case I made way back in January of 2012, by the way), but I'm still nervous. I fear that the dark, crazy post-apocalyptic survival war story I loved as a kid is not what I'm going to see on the screen. I don't want just another X-Men movie, I want a great X-Men movie.
I could be very wrong and no one will be happier than I am if I am, but I'm a nerd, so I worry. I've heard very positive things about the script and Devin Faraci over at Badass Digest says he has a source who has seen a rough cut and sang its praises, so if it's great I'll be fine... but I also know that by calling this one Days of Future Past if they make a good or great movie that only touches on the comic storyline (which along with the Dark Phoenix Saga is what got me into comic books in a big way as a kid) that's the only shot I'll have at seeing this fleshed out in movie form.
But like I said, word is good, so my crazy nerd neurosis (nerdrosis?) is tempered a bit. It flared up a little when the first picture of Evan Peters as Quicksilver appeared over at SuperheroHype. I didn't expect him to be wearing green and white spandex, but it's not the most exciting debut look I've ever seen. Ball is in your court now, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Joss Whedon and Marvel!
Anybody else scratching their head at Young Xavier walking in that above picture? Curious...
Entertainment Weekly also has a new image featuring Beast and Wolverine messing around.
So, there's the new pics. I hope all my nerdy fears are put to rest when the flick comes out. I may not have been a big fan of some of Singer's recent efforts, but he's earned a little trust over the years.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 157 total posts 108 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 244 total posts 84 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 222 total posts 63 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 84 total posts 39 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 153 total posts 34 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 59 total posts 29 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 173 total posts 25 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 262 total posts 19 posts
- AICN debuts the official poster for the stoner, doomsday, psychotic freak out film DON PEYOTE, starring, written and directed by Don Fogler!!! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 512 total posts 16 posts