New photos from X-Men: Days of Future Past give us our first look at Quicksilver!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Bryan Singer isn't really given the credit he's due for his part in shaping the tentpole landscape today. When he made X-Men it was almost in spite of 20th Century Fox, who got cold feet before shooting, slashed the budget and left him to try to make the movie work.
Kids today don't remember what it was like before the geeks took over the cinematic world. That first X-Men movie being successful is directly responsible to the rise of Marvel Studios who reshaped the industry and created an audience that the studios ignored or mistreated for so long.
I'm not ignoring Blade's success or the great impact Superman and Batman had on the cinematic landscape in the '70s and '80s, but it was definitely the one-two punch of Singer's X-Men and Raimi's Spider-Man that gave us the orgy of superhero movies we know today.
So, with all respect and admiration to Mr. Singer, I say I'm nervous about Days of Future Past. It's a perfect story and a great way to splinter off of Singer's original series without fucking up continuity (a case I made way back in January of 2012, by the way), but I'm still nervous. I fear that the dark, crazy post-apocalyptic survival war story I loved as a kid is not what I'm going to see on the screen. I don't want just another X-Men movie, I want a great X-Men movie.
I could be very wrong and no one will be happier than I am if I am, but I'm a nerd, so I worry. I've heard very positive things about the script and Devin Faraci over at Badass Digest says he has a source who has seen a rough cut and sang its praises, so if it's great I'll be fine... but I also know that by calling this one Days of Future Past if they make a good or great movie that only touches on the comic storyline (which along with the Dark Phoenix Saga is what got me into comic books in a big way as a kid) that's the only shot I'll have at seeing this fleshed out in movie form.
But like I said, word is good, so my crazy nerd neurosis (nerdrosis?) is tempered a bit. It flared up a little when the first picture of Evan Peters as Quicksilver appeared over at SuperheroHype. I didn't expect him to be wearing green and white spandex, but it's not the most exciting debut look I've ever seen. Ball is in your court now, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Joss Whedon and Marvel!
Anybody else scratching their head at Young Xavier walking in that above picture? Curious...
Entertainment Weekly also has a new image featuring Beast and Wolverine messing around.
So, there's the new pics. I hope all my nerdy fears are put to rest when the flick comes out. I may not have been a big fan of some of Singer's recent efforts, but he's earned a little trust over the years.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 163 total posts 22 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 121 total posts 13 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 339 total posts 12 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 60 total posts 11 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 169 total posts 11 posts
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 550 total posts 10 posts
- A New & Full Length Trailer For Disney XD’s STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 60 total posts 8 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 24 total posts 6 posts
- A Recently Recovered Gene Roddenberry Interview Leads To A Kickstarter About The Early Days Of STAR TREK!! -- 71 total posts 5 posts
- Fox Networks Group Chairman Peter Rice: ‘I’d Love To See Another Season Of 24!!’ -- 160 total posts 5 posts