The Amy Schumer/Judd Apatow TRAINWRECK to throw down in the Thunderdome of Summer 2015!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
TRAINWRECK will drop in wide release on July 24th, 2015. As we all know, Summer '15 is looking like a battleground for tentpole releases, but here's some further perspective; the week before TRAINWRECK releases, Warner Bros. will be unleashing a movie that, while we don't know what it's called yet, will prominently feature its two biggest comic book properties going head to head onscreen for the first time (care to guess?). The week after TRAINWRECK debuts, we get another massive superhero tentpole. This one? Marvel. And. Edgar. Wright's. ANT-MAN. Starring. Paul. Rudd.
In the cadence of Amy Schumer, I dare to say that Universal and Apatow are going balls-deep on this one.
Schumer is completely untested as a film heroine, even though her show slayed it, ratings-wise, on Comedy Central last year. I'd even say her popularity and experience, at this point, pales in comparison to Kristen Wiig's circa-early 2011, when BRIDESMAIDS made a play for summer season loot by opening in May. Plopping TRAINWRECK smack-dab in the middle of BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN and ANT-MAN shows a remarkable level of confidence in both Schumer's appeal and the film itself, which, because of the underperformance of both FUNNY PEOPLE and THIS IS 40, doesn't get any brownie points from Apatow's recent box-office tallies.
Needless to say, they're going for a slightly different (and slightly, but not entirely, more female) crowd than those four-quadrant behemoths, so hopefully, TRAINWRECK will counter-program quite nicely the same way BRIDESMAIDS happily propsered in the week between THOR and PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES. I'd love it if Amy Schumer's cynicism-through-a-smile screen presence translated seamlessly to films, and that we'd have a comedienne with her level of identifiability and razor-sharp perception leading major comedies.
But Judd? Buddy? I don't think this one needs to be three hours long. Jus' sayin.
TRAINWRECK shows up on July 24th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 76 total posts 24 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 63 total posts 11 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 117 total posts 10 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 31 total posts 9 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 348 total posts 7 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 302 total posts 6 posts
- Harry Potter Gets Horny!! No, Really!! See, He Has HORNS!! -- 64 total posts 5 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 58 total posts 5 posts
- Second Wave Titles Announced for FANTASTIC FEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- 8 total posts 4 posts