The Amy Schumer/Judd Apatow TRAINWRECK to throw down in the Thunderdome of Summer 2015!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
TRAINWRECK will drop in wide release on July 24th, 2015. As we all know, Summer '15 is looking like a battleground for tentpole releases, but here's some further perspective; the week before TRAINWRECK releases, Warner Bros. will be unleashing a movie that, while we don't know what it's called yet, will prominently feature its two biggest comic book properties going head to head onscreen for the first time (care to guess?). The week after TRAINWRECK debuts, we get another massive superhero tentpole. This one? Marvel. And. Edgar. Wright's. ANT-MAN. Starring. Paul. Rudd.
In the cadence of Amy Schumer, I dare to say that Universal and Apatow are going balls-deep on this one.
Schumer is completely untested as a film heroine, even though her show slayed it, ratings-wise, on Comedy Central last year. I'd even say her popularity and experience, at this point, pales in comparison to Kristen Wiig's circa-early 2011, when BRIDESMAIDS made a play for summer season loot by opening in May. Plopping TRAINWRECK smack-dab in the middle of BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN and ANT-MAN shows a remarkable level of confidence in both Schumer's appeal and the film itself, which, because of the underperformance of both FUNNY PEOPLE and THIS IS 40, doesn't get any brownie points from Apatow's recent box-office tallies.
Needless to say, they're going for a slightly different (and slightly, but not entirely, more female) crowd than those four-quadrant behemoths, so hopefully, TRAINWRECK will counter-program quite nicely the same way BRIDESMAIDS happily propsered in the week between THOR and PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES. I'd love it if Amy Schumer's cynicism-through-a-smile screen presence translated seamlessly to films, and that we'd have a comedienne with her level of identifiability and razor-sharp perception leading major comedies.
But Judd? Buddy? I don't think this one needs to be three hours long. Jus' sayin.
TRAINWRECK shows up on July 24th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 159 total posts 134 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 122 total posts 78 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 180 total posts 37 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 556 total posts 33 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 176 total posts 19 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 104 total posts 14 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 355 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 63 total posts 7 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 26 total posts 6 posts