Here's An AICN Exclusive Look At Sundance Film Festival Premiere A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT!
One of these days I'm going to pool up enough vacation time and go to the Sundance Film Festival. I'm especially envious of Quint, who is going this year, because I want to see THE RAID 2: BERANDAL very badly indeed. But I'm sure Quint's going to see everything he can and report back. I've always loved AICN's coverage of Sundance, and after a brief hiatus, we're back in force this year.
The best part of Sundance is seeing those movies that seemingly come out of nowhere, and I hope Tim League is looking closely at some intriguing prospects this year for Fantastic Fest. One of them sounds straight out of FF's wheelhouse - A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT, which might be the very first Iranian vampire Western ever directed by a woman. Okay, make that "definitely" instead of "might." Executive produced by Elijah Wood, Daniel Noah, Josh Waller, and others, A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT sounds like something I could wholeheartedly embrace. Here's the synopsis:
Strange things are afoot in Bad City. The Iranian ghost town, home to prostitutes, junkies, pimps and other sordid souls, is a bastion of depravity and hopelessness where a lonely vampire stalks its most unsavory inhabitants. But when boy meets girl, an unusual love story begins to blossom... blood red.
Cinema's first Iranian vampire western, Ana Lily Amirpour’s debut feature basks in the shear pleasure of pulp. A joyful mash-up of genre, archetype, and iconography, its prolific influences span spaghetti westerns, graphic novels, horror films, and the Iranian New Wave. Amped by a mix of Iranian rock, techno, and Morricone-inspired riffs, its airy, anamorphic, black-and-white aesthetic and artfully drawn-out scenes combine the simmering tension of Sergio Leone with the weird surrealism of David Lynch.
Above all, Amirpour’s tale of love and squalor is fun. Why else would a vampire ride a skateboard?
Ana Lily Amirpour's been directing since she was 12 years old. I love when genre filmmaking shows us different perspectives and ways of life; much like Alejandro Brugues' JUAN OF THE DEAD, I bet A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT will expose its audiences to an entirely different kind of life, and I'm excited to see it.
And we have not only the exclusive premiere of the poster, but an exclusive look at the comic book that will be made available to all Sundance attendees of the film. Here's the poster:
A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT will premiere January 19th at Sundance, with an encore screening on January 20th. I hope to get to see it soon!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 558 total posts 107 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 417 total posts 97 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 699 total posts 34 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint runs down the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON footage!!! -- 164 total posts 22 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen actual footage from George Miller's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!! -- 123 total posts 16 posts
- ‘You Have Failed This City!!’ When Atom Met ARROW!! 2.5 Minutes Of Season Three!! -- 50 total posts 14 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has a ton of photos and highlights from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron panel! -- 107 total posts 12 posts
- SDCC '14: Gareth Edwards confirmed to direct GODZILLA 2! Also, a few familiar monsters we should expect! -- 145 total posts 12 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint checks out Marvel's Ant-Man panel and sees a nifty teaser sequence! -- 65 total posts 11 posts
- Full banner and character posters from AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! -- 199 total posts 10 posts